In The Market For A New Truck...

jth0804

Default rank <500 posts
Supreme Sock Puppet Master
5   0
Reaction score
Alright fellers, with my 2001 F150 XLT 2WD with the 5.4L under the hood being old enough to go off to war, I think it's about time for retirement. It's been a great truck and has 265,000 miles on it now with very few issues with anything aside from a few things that needed to be replaced. It's just been a solid truck and I'm looking to get another truck that's solid, but has more get up and go... and you know, not 265,000 miles on it haha.

I've done a lot of searching and researching online and I think I've narrowed it down to a few models and I want to hear from anybody that has experience with any or all of these trucks to give me an insider scoop of if it'll stand the test of time and also some pros and cons of the trucks. Any bad years or good years?... oh, and try to keep the brand loyalty to dull roar though because I'm not about to pick a truck just on the sole fact that it's got a blue oval or a bowtie on it.

Also, I'm looking at the Naturally Aspirated V8 lineups. I don't really care much for the EcoBoost type engines. I want a motor that roars, not purrs and doesn't have a turbo that's gonna blow out at 100,000 miles and leave me limping to the side of the road.

Top Picks:
2014+ Silverado 1500 - 6.2L L86 Motor
2014+ Silverado 1500 - 5.3L L83 Motor
2014-2017 F150 - 5.0L Coyote Motor
2014+ Tundra - 5.7L 3UR-FE Motor

I'm looking to get any of these in 4x4, but I'm not super knowledgeable on transmissions, so any input on that would be appreciated as well since I know some transmissions are better than others. I think it's probably worth noting too that I'll be lifting this truck eventually and putting at least 35s on it, so it needs to be robust enough to stand the larger, heavier tires.

I have a 2016 5.0 Coyote. It is a beast. I wanted a 3.5 ecoboost but ended up with the Coyote. I still would rather have the EB, but the Coyote does everything I ask it to do. Hauls ass too.

The only two brands of trucks I even consider anymore is Ford and Toyota. I have had multiples of both and they have been solid. I know some people love the Ram and Silverados, but I have never had good luck with them and to be honest I have zero interest in ever owning anything from either company again after my last vehicle from each.

Going to biggrr tires? You will do better in a 3/4 ton not a half ton.

Bigger tires downgrade braking performance. 3/4 ton chassis has better brakes out of the box. Floating rear axle is a nice bonus.

All are good to go but the 5.3 will be the slowest and hate the tires the most. The 5.0 will be best on fuel if you get one with the 10-speed automatic and has way more power than it’s displacement would suggest. The 5.7 is a strong motor but likes fuel and is still only a 6-speed. 6.2 is a beast but kinda rare.

Good luck!

I have a 2016 5.0 Coyote. It is a beast. I wanted a 3.5 ecoboost but ended up with the Coyote. I still would rather have the EB, but the Coyote does everything I ask it to do. Hauls ass too.

The only two brands of trucks I even consider anymore is Ford and Toyota. I have had multiples of both and they have been solid. I know some people love the Ram and Silverados, but I have never had good luck with them and to be honest I have zero interest in ever owning anything from either company again after my last vehicle from each.

I have the 2017 f150 4x4. And your correct on the coyote engine, 2 words, bad ass! I pulled out with traffic coming and stomped the gas, if will break the tires loose at 30 miles per hour. The interior is super roomy, comfortable and it gets over 22 miles per gallon, more if I keep my heavy foot out of it. Awesome truck.

I have the 2017 f150 4x4. And your correct on the coyote engine, 2 words, bad ass! I pulled out with traffic coming and stomped the gas, if will break the tires loose at 30 miles per hour. The interior is super roomy, comfortable and it gets over 22 miles per gallon, more if I keep my heavy foot out of it. Awesome truck.
Whenever I know I have to pull out in to heavy traffic, I like to switch mine on "Sport Mode". Literally runs like a scalded coyote.

Back
Top Bottom