• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Installing MOE handguard?

mollierej

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
24   0
Reaction score
I'm putting together an AR for my girlfriend so I bought her a .556 SOTA upper with just the plain handguard with plans to swap it out for the new pink magpul moe setup. I picked it up today from David at CCF and the problem we found is that my upper uses a barrel nut and the MOE foregrip requires a delta ring setup. What all does it take to change this over? Is it as simple as just getting a delta ring and swapping it all out or is there more stuff required? I've got a buddy who is really good with AR's and I'm going to try and get in touch with him tomorrow but wanted to get y'all's input. I'm fairly new to the AR so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great holiday season!

You'll also need the front cap as well and make sure you get the entire Delta Ring assembly. You'll also have to remove the gas block so you can slide everything off and then back on.

All AR's require a barrel nut. Did it have a free float forearm (free floating forearms use an externally threaded barrel nut for the fore arm top screw on)? A regular a2 style forearm uses a D-ring. Mine went right on. Would be nice to have the d-ring tool though. Helps out alot.

All AR's require a barrel nut. Did it have a free float forearm (free floating forearms use an externally threaded barrel nut for the fore arm top screw on)? A regular a2 style forearm uses a D-ring. Mine went right on. Would be nice to have the d-ring tool though. Helps out alot.

Yeah it has the free float forearm right now so the barrel nut that's on it should work along with the delta ring, am I correct? I actually watched that video earlier but couldn't tell about the whole delta ring and barrel nut setup

Yeah it has the free float forearm right now so the barrel nut that's on it should work along with the delta ring, am I correct? I actually watched that video earlier but couldn't tell about the whole delta ring and barrel nut setup

Post a PIc.

Am am almost positive it will not work. A standard barrel nut has a retainer lip for the d-ring to rest against. There is also a spring washer to hold tension on the ring.

I would be interested in your free float nut and tube if you do convert it to a standard set-up.

In my opinion it won't be worth the cost or effort on a Sota upper. You are looking at bare 50 dollars in parts, and then if you don't have the tools, another 100 dollars in gunsmith fees. Perhaps someone nearby could help you switch it over for free if you buy the beer and the parts. I would offer, but you are a 300 mile round trip for me. ;)

I am keeping it at my shop because its a surprise for her so I can't get pics right now but I'll try to tmrw sometime. I tried finding one online but couldn't find one that would help.

Alright I'm sure we can work something out if I can get it figured out

Back
Top Bottom