• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Installing MOE handguard?

In my opinion it won't be worth the cost or effort on a Sota upper. You are looking at bare 50 dollars in parts, and then if you don't have the tools, another 100 dollars in gunsmith fees. Perhaps someone nearby could help you switch it over for free if you buy the beer and the parts. I would offer, but you are a 300 mile round trip for me. ;)

I second this. But if you have to have it, it can be done.

Here is what yours probably looks like free float.jpg

In my opinion it won't be worth the cost or effort on a Sota upper. You are looking at bare 50 dollars in parts, and then if you don't have the tools, another 100 dollars in gunsmith fees. Perhaps someone nearby could help you switch it over for free if you buy the beer and the parts. I would offer, but you are a 300 mile round trip for me. ;)

I have a SOTA upper on mine and I love it so far, of course I'm new to the AR game so I don't really know any better right now I guess but I had to start somewhere. I've actually have a buddy that has been building them for a long time and he will do all the work for free, or some beer, but I can't call him till tmrw. Haha thanks for the offer sir but that is quite a drive!

I have a SOTA upper on mine and I love it so far, of course I'm new to the AR game so I don't really know any better right now I guess but I had to start somewhere. I've actually have a buddy that has been building them for a long time and he will do all the work for free, or some beer, but I can't call him till tmrw. Haha thanks for the offer sir but that is quite a drive!

Please don't take my post as saying their is anything wrong with your SOTA upper. I was just saying that is a bunch of money and work to put into a 300 dollar upper so you can put a 30 dollar magpul handguard on it. If you are up to the task, it would certainly be cheaper than buying something else right now. ;)

I have not personally handled the SOTA stuff, but I hear it is good stuff.

Please don't take my post as saying their is anything wrong with your SOTA upper. I was just saying that is a bunch of money and work to put into a 300 dollar upper so you can put a 30 dollar magpul handguard on it. If you are up to the task, it would certainly be cheaper than buying something else right now. ;)

I have not personally handled the SOTA stuff, but I hear it is good stuff.

Agree.

Also, note that you will be removing an "upgrade" from a standard configuration when you do this. The less that touches the barrel, the more consistent they tend to shoot. Look up the benefits to free floating a forearm and it will explain.

Back
Top Bottom