• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Interesting call from a Savannah detective

Yea I get this point, however if you have done your due diligence before the sale, which is minimal in this state, it shouldn’t be any issue to help the investigation. With that said by no means am i saying, hey just walk into the police station and give all the info away freely. Provide exactly the info requested with an attorney present.
They key word here is Attorney. Don't say a damn thing without one present, period. Without one it very well could bite you in the ass even if you think you are doing the right thing. Never forget about your constitutional rights and that they should not be violated.

Yeah go spend about a couple of stacks to hire a lawyer so you can do the detectives job.
You don't have to. You can say nothing. But if you're subpoenaed, you can either spend those stacks or possibly spend time sharing a cell with some dude that wants to rearrange your guts with his meat hammer.

They key word here is Attorney. Don't say a damn thing without one present, period. Without one it very well could bite you in the ass even if you think you are doing the right thing. Never forget about your constitutional rights and that they should not be violated.
Could t agree more with you sir!! Never speak freely with the Popo 👮‍♀️

Story time because I actually do have firsthand experience with this.

I was contacted by someone from the ATF field office here in Georgia about a year ago. Phone rang while I was at the gym. Answered it. Dude introduced himself. Asked me if I remembered selling a Glock to someone on X date because they were buying them and sending them through the ****ing mail, USPS to be exact, to people in California for obscene amounts of money. He said he needed any info I had and "that I wasn't in trouble."

I could do digging on my profile and figure out who it was. I told him exactly this: "Thanks for the call. I know I'm not in trouble because I've done nothing wrong. You apparently have access to the site and can gather the information you need from it. I'm pretty busy, just as I'm sure you are, so good luck with your research."

That was the end of it. Nothing else. What someone decides to do illegal after a legal transaction is between them and law enforcement.

If you weren't the last person to sell it to the (alleged) killer, why would they even care?

They have the body, they have the (alleged) killer and they have the gun. Why do they need you?

I ran into something similar a year or so ago, with a Postal Inspector asking about the sale of a gun.

But that was different in a couple of ways...

1) The case involved a guy buying guns here and mailing them to CA.
2) I had sold the gun directly to the person accused of running the GA end of things.

I did have his supervisor send me a formal letter asking my assistance and verifying the inspector as being legitimate. Then I talked to him on the phone (I called their office from their published number and asked for him) to confirm his very basic questions (SN, make, model and date I sold it).

He already had that info from searching this site, but was hoping I had more information in PMs (I didn't).

I certainly don't feel bad about helping the cops in cases like this, but you should also make sure that you aren't going to get put in a bad position.

In this case I don't know what additional information you can bring unless they are trying to bust a gun buying ring. If this is simply a murder they should have everything they need.

Back
Top Bottom