• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Interstate firearms trade

It is legal to privately trade serialed firearms with the resident of another state?

• Total voters
Some states take their gun/possession laws VERY seriously..
NY state has billboard signs as you cross state lines stating 10 years Mandatory for illegal gun possession in NY city..

Buzzards got to eat too!
DEAeRqxWsAALE5p.jpg
:heh::heh::heh:

All. You can buy a long gun from a dealer in another state and walk out the door with it if it's legal to own in both jurisdictions. This provided they don't have a 'waiting period' or some other nonsense. A pistol has to be shipped to an FFL in your home state where you pick it up and fill out a 4473.

Kind of like my underwear, it depends, on what is being traded.

Two pistols, each pistol has to be transferred through a FFL in the new owner's state.

A pistol and and a long gun, both transactions can be completed at a FFL in the state of residence of the new owner of the pistol.

Two long guns, the transaction can be completed by a FFL in the state of residence of either party to the transaction.

Bottom line though is, that both guns have to go through an FFL, where it is one or two depends on the guns.

OK, so I move to AL from Macon, taking my privately-owned unregistered guns with me that I legally purchased thru ODT of course. I establish new residence, (license, mail, etc) in Bham and 3 weeks later I trade/sale one of my pistols with a new neighbor. No forms are completed and all is legal.

Correct?

Back
Top Bottom