• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is .270 enough?

4propload

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
7   0
Reaction score
Ok guys, I am moving to Alaska and will have the opportunity to hunt the big stuff(Caribou, Bear, and MOOSE). In your opinion is the .270 enough of a gun for that? I hit what I aim at and shot placement is key. BUT, what say you?

Presently shooting Hornady 130SST

270 is a bit small for Alaska I would think. I would feel better with a 30.06 if not a belted magnum. That said, 270 is one hell of a flat shooting iron and had dropped a ton of large game.

lol yeah they are big.. I did the research and watched the youtube vids on the .270.. was looking at the 06 or .308.. Love the flat trajectory..

I'll answer your question with a question, Is .223 enough for deer?
It can do it and I have a first cousin that recently took a 1600# Eland in Africa with one shot from a .270.
If it were me I'd move up to at least a Win Mag, or maybe a big bore lever gun.

I worked with a guy who moved to Ga from Alaska and now has moved back. He had a .300 Win mag and said it was the perfect rifle for Ak.
I dont know if it is or not but the guy was definitely a hunter and was a gun guy.

I would carry no less than a 338 Win Mag. I knew a lawyer who retired to Alaska and before he left he got a 26" long barrel Marlin 1895 in 45/70 to keep in Alaska. That would be a good rifle to have.

If it were me, I'd have built a concept rifle I have had in mind for quite some time. I would like to have a 22" barreled bolt action rifle in 375 H&H. I would have it built with a stainless steel receiver and barrel, a quality synthetic or laminate stock, a rail that ran above the action and down the barrel so I could mount scopes in the traditional position or scout position. I would have a fiber optic front sight with a ghost ring rear sight and I would use a Leupold Fir Dot scope in 2-7 with quick detach rings. That is my dream Alaskan rifle. It would do the job on anything Alaska had to offer. You could even have it ported if you want, but I wouldn't want it.

Yeah I'm not going brown/grizz or Moose hunting with a .270 by choice. Better than a stick in the eye yes, and a .270 is capable of much more than too many give it credit for, but moose and dangerous game, it's got to start with a .3 and be smoking on the way out.

Back
Top Bottom