• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is .270 enough?

A .270 can be a fine round for the big game you listed. My wifes uncle has taken plenty of elk with a 270. I personally love the round and with the right load will do good.

yeah, probably gonna roll with the .270 until I get there and choose at that point.. .338 is just too much for my limbs to handle

Fred Bear once said "there is not an animal in north america that cant be taken down with a bow with 35 pounds of draw weight", so yes a .270 should do just fine.

yeah, probably gonna roll with the .270 until I get there and choose at that point.. .338 is just too much for my limbs to handle

I'm 5' 11" and 200 lbs.
In no beast by any means, but I can handle it; I don't care to shoot a box of them at a time, but if that means you brought enough gun, so be it.

You'll be ill prepared if you face a moose or Grizzly with a .270; and I'm a .270 nut.

.338 is like getting hit with a bat... .375 however is like a hard shove and unless you are making LONG shots, it is a fantastic round and will do all you need!

when i was in college, i had an opportunity to hunt elk in colorado. with a borrowed .270, at 200 hundred yards - i put down a bull elk that scored 310. i hit him in the heart - he took three steps and dropped dead. the shot was a perfect broadside and i rested the rifle on a tree as i squeezed the trigger (cheater, i know but...)

so, a .270 is enough with the right shot placement.

however, those conditions were absolutely perfect. the guide that took me recommended a 300 mag of some sort (i don't remember which and was more into "hunting" then vs. the obsession of the tools of hunting - like now when i'm on the odt). he stated that a 270 was on the low end of what he would recommend, although 30-06 and 308s were pretty common with his clients. fwiw, i think he said that his personal rifle was some sort of 458 (again, many years and beers ago). in his opinion, he liked the bigger rounds for work in and around brush, and in case he was put in a dangerous situation.

i'm no expert, but i did it ONCE. if i were buying a backwoods rifle for consistent use in remote parts of the country - i would find a somewhat common caliber as big as i could stand for about ten shots or so. just my .02...

Back
Top Bottom