• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is .270 enough?

bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com_lancasteronline.com_contefd6e63e641c0e6c8b9f0fc6c7393deab.jpg

It'll work, but I would not carry it in Alaska. I have been traipsing through the Alaska wilderness, and it is some thick forest and jungle-like in many places. As others have said, I would definitely want something bigger that might leave a little more room for error in the event of a close encounter.

But just remember to call out, "hey bear!!!" ever 10 seconds or so, and you'll be alright. :D

Ok .. Digging the .3 and smoke.. and I dont see a .338 in the future(junk Shoulder).. so 300 may be in the near future perhaps..

I guess I need to start the Ruger M77 MKII .270 for trade thread... ;)

A .270 can be a fine round for the big game you listed. My wifes uncle has taken plenty of elk with a 270. I personally love the round and with the right load will do good.

A .270 can be a fine round for the big game you listed. My wifes uncle has taken plenty of elk with a 270. I personally love the round and with the right load will do good.
A .270 is certainly adequate for elk. An average bull is around 700 pounds. However an elk generally won't try to kill you and a bull moose can literally bet TWICE that size.

Back
Top Bottom