• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is .270 enough?

Remember you are not the only one hunting so I would go with 7mm mag, 300 Win, 45-70 or my 300 Ultra Mag and I would go with no less than a 44 mag, 454 Casual, 460 or the 500 mag side arm.

9.3x62. It answers every question. Will and has killed everything with legs. Recoil on par with a 30.06 and energy just slightly under 375H&H, with better ballistics.

Bullet ranges from 232gr Norma Vulkan to 325gr Woodleigh Solids.

250gr Barnes have yielded one shot kills on Cape Buffalo.

250gr Accubond can stay supersonic out to 1200 yards.

Last edited:
Ok people took this post the wrong way. He isn't asking about Africa or defense against the largest carnivore in a dead charge. He asked if it was enough. I exclusively hunt with a 270 anything that walks. Shot placement is key in every hunting situation and so is bullet choice. I would hunt Alaska with a 270 in a heart beat but I'd beef up my load. If you had fast enough twist I'd use a Barnes 150 or a 160 partition. My minimum load would be a 140 Barnes or a 150 accubond/partition. Let's face it, you will encounter bears if you live in Alaska long enough, but charges are not a super common thing to worry about unless you put yourself in a den of them frequently. With that said, if I was gonna be in a scketchy situation much I'd pack my ruger 454 super redhawk with 300+ gr hot loads. A 270 can an has taken almost everything on earth successfully. If your asking is it enough to use in 99% of the situations that people encounter, yes. You don't need 300 win mag for deer but that doesn't stop people. Some people over access the situation and/or are compensating for short man syndrome. I've waylayed deer in their tracks out to nearly 500 yards with good placement with a 130gr BST. I've witnessed 400+ yard shots on elk that dropped them in their tracks with a good 140gr bullet. If it'll kill an elk graveyard dead at over 400 yards then what won't it kill at less than 100yds with a heavy load? I watched a stone sheep do nothing but roll down a hill side from a hit that was right at 900 yards from a 150 gr hunting vld. Yes 900 is further than 99% of people should shoot but it was a studied and competent shot that hit the target. A 270 is vastly underrated by most but trash talked by none. Few cartridges reach the stature of the 06 and 308, and the 270 has by every right as much.

quit being reasonable. The O.P. has a perfect excuse for a new rifle in a bigger caliber. Alaska has a few species of game animals that can weigh 1000 lbs.
In Georgia the only "deer" that are close to that size are the cattle and horses that drunk hunters shoot at every deer season! ;)

Yeah I'm not going brown/grizz or Moose hunting with a .270 by choice. Better than a stick in the eye yes, and a .270 is capable of much more than too many give it credit for, but moose and dangerous game, it's got to start with a .3 and be smoking on the way out.

This!!!!

Back
Top Bottom