• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is .270 enough?

Thanks to everyone for then postings. Admittedly I am fairly new to the bolt guns, and the .270 and I came together on a trade. I have had several range sessions and am holding consistent 1" and below groups. The unfortunate part of that is after about 10 rounds I'm done, I don't even want to think about shooting it again. I'm shooting the hornady SST 130's kicking 3200fps.. I have purchased some win 150 power points to play with and see how they run.
I am concerned more with recoil on a crap shoulder with the big magnums.. Thoughts?

I have the defensive side handled by my faithful sidearm.. So no worries there..
Stay away from the magnums. The 3006 does have more kick than the 270 but it's not going to be as sharp. A good recoil pad can be bought and installed for about $80. They're worth every dime and they hit two birds, recoil and a cheap way of custom fitting the rifle to your shoulder.

I'm confused. OP asked about Alaskan game not African and he asked about hunting, not defense. .338 and .375 are not versatile in North America as a production cartridge; they are specialized, contextually, for big game. They are not for the faint of heart or shoulder and are not inexpensive. You can "plink" and practice with a 30-06 on most budgets with surplus or say a 30-06 cartridge adaptor (I've heard of people using 32 ACP as a popular adapted round but price wise I could not see the justification unless it is recoil you are concerned with). Glass is going to be a bigger issue as well with the recoil of those rounds. I would not trust my zeroing as much with those rounds or my overall accuracy.
As far as that boogeyman of "stopping power" that is ubiquitous with self-defense and hunting...it is very simple. Stopping power, other than hitting the central nervous system (placement and penetration but you most likely will not be going for a headshot especially on a trophy animal), is about dropping that animals BP as quickly as possible and that means a nice wound channel. I have yet to see a good 30-06 on any game that didn't create a wound channel that I would see as a threat/inhumane to the animal or hunter. You ARE getting more penetration with a .338 or a .375 but are you trying to shoot a bear's heart through his pooper?

"Please note the emphasis on accurate bullet placement throughout this article. ANYONE is better off with a .30-30/170 that they can shoot accurately and with confidence than with a .338 or .450 Magnum that they cannot. Scandinavian explorers and wilderness adventurers have successfully used 6.5x55 rifles to protect themselves from polar bears in the far north for well over a hundred years, because they penetrate deeply and don't kick much, so they are easy to shoot accurately. The lesson is that what matters most in stopping a bear attack is to deliver a perfectly placed bullet with the first shot. As long as the gun/cartridge/bullet combination is reasonably adequate and offers sufficient penetration, the odds are on your side." http://www.chuckhawks.com/firearms_defense_bears.htm

A 30-06 is simply far more versatile. You can push a 30-06 to magnum loads but it is more about accuracy and the sweet spot for your rifle setup; the reverse is hardly true for a .338 or .375.

I think you should look into an Alaskan hunting forum for this question. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com...quot-all-around-quot-AK-hunting-rifle-caliber

If you only have one rifle and don't plan to buy anymore, then it's a tough choice. If you stick with the 270, then I'd look into a bear defense revolver to keep strapped on you at all times. If it were me, I'd look at the 338mag or 375 Ruger with open sights & still carry a big revolver as a back up. It's not like you can't use the 270 up there, but if you knowingly go into bear country then it'd be wise to get something bigger & with out a large power scope.

Years ago,one of the major hunting magazines took a poll of Alaska guides and asked the same question."If I can only buy ONE gun to hunt all big game in Alaska,what should I buy"? #1 gun recommended was the 30.06,# 2 was the .270.

No argument from me, to HUNT those animals. To stop them, go much bigger. If you're hunting Griz though, you'll have a hunting rifle, and your PH will have a much larger caliber stopping rifle. Just something to think about.

In the words of Dirty Harry's police chief, "You want an edge." (referring to the .458 Win-Mag Harry was taking after Scorpio). "All I can get, sir".

I feel the same way.

Last edited:
Now there's someone that knows what he's talking about. (Many of you others do as well) Kudo's to you. (Kudo's for Kuduman :D )

SHAMELESS PLUG - For anyone planning on going to Alaska to hunt. I have a beautiful CZ550 Safari Magnum rifle in .458 Win Mag for sale. Comes with a lot of ammo/cases/bullets for reloading.

Regards,

Rob

A lot of y'all know hunting, but apparently not dangerous game hunting. A .270 will certainly kill a big bear/lion/leopard/buffalo, but may not stop or turn it in a life-or-death situation. For Alaska, that would start with .338 or .375 H&H. And .45/70 heavilly loaded, and the .416s/.458s. You can get more shots off in a hurry with a lever-gun...

The idea being that in a hurry you may not make a perfect shot, and the more margin for error you have, the more likely you are to get it to break off the attack. The guides tell me no one ever survives a charge and wishes they had had a smaller gun. I haven't been there, so this is just hearsay. .

338 or .375 is probably the most versatile. Properly loaded they still have some range which the 40s don't have, and have the penetration on big-boned animals that the .30 mags don't have.

There is a floor for dangerous game hunting in a lot of African countries, and that floor is .375 H&H equivalent or bigger. .338 doesn't make the cut, legally, though new bullet designs should probably get them to rethink the floor.

I'd use the premium-est bullet I could get, regardless of caliber. Barnes, Swift A-Frame, NorthFork, Trophy Bonded, etc. In the heaviest weight possible with typical twist rates. That's 150 for .270, 160/168 for 7mm, 200+ for .30 cal, 250+ for .338, and 300+ for .375 H&H. 400 for the .416s and 500 for the .458s just to cover 'em all. I personally don't like the .338 Win-Mag. I think the case capacity is too small to get the heavy bullets up to sufficient speed for long shots, and if you aren't going to use it for long shots, get the .375 H&H and be done with it. Lots of others disagree, unsurprisingly.

I'd probably get a stainless/synthetic short barreled Marlin .45/70 with the glove loop and ghost-ring sights if I needed bear defense. Loaded with full-power handloads or Buffalo Bore Hammerheads. This isn't the ideal hunting rifle though; range is very limited. But it can sling a lot of lead fast, and shoot nose to tail through a brownie.

A big "negatory" on the 12-gauge penetration with slugs. Sure it's a 1-oz. slug-- same as the .45-70. But it's .70 caliber to start with, not .45. Penetration is dramatically less. Feet less. Somebody from Alaska may can chime in if it's "good enough". That I don't know, but the penetration is definitely less. Now if you have a rifled barrel and .45 caliber saboted slugs, my objection falls. That'll penetrate right with the .45-70. In fact, a short-barreled 5-shot pump shotgun shooting saboted slugs would be my second choice.

Last edited:
I'd try to trade the 270 off for a 325 WSM or .338 before moving. Then I'd get a minimal reloading kit together to produce loads reduced down to a level my shoulder could tolerate. I would much rather use any .270 bolt rifle against a bear than any handgun.

Back
Top Bottom