• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is .270 enough?

I'm 5' 11" and 200 lbs.
In no beast by any means, but I can handle it; I don't care to shoot a box of them at a time, but if that means you brought enough gun, so be it.

You'll be ill prepared if you face a moose or Grizzly with a .270; and I'm a .270 nut.

Same here. I'm a .270 nut also and I would want a bigger caliber for Alaska. Even if he's not hunting bear or moose they are still around. The .270 can kill any animal up there but imagine being up there in reality and being faced with a 2000 pound Grizzly. I would want a bazooka.

A big "negatory" on the 12-gauge penetration with slugs. Sure it's a 1-oz. slug-- same as the .45-70. But it's .70 caliber to start with, not .45. Penetration is dramatically less. Feet less. Somebody from Alaska may can chime in if it's "good enough". That I don't know, but the penetration is definitely less. Now if you have a rifled barrel and .45 caliber saboted slugs, my objection falls. That'll penetrate right with the .45-70. In fact, a short-barreled 5-shot pump shotgun shooting saboted slugs would be my second choice.

Regarding the 12 ga, although I kind of agree with you, I can tell you that every guide outfit I was with in Alaska carried shotguns loaded with both slugs and buckshot as part of their deterrent. They also placed the electrified fences around the campsites at night.

The coolest thing was watching a little black bear, who was obviously very hungry, come up on the other side of a trout stream no more than 20 feet from our camp and try to grab the dying trout. Both guides in the camp had shotguns at the low ready waiting on momma to show up. I am just glad it was a little blackie and not a big brownie.

http://youtu.be/3ogGgCU98SI got to go 7rem mag. enough of a round for anything in north america

Ask Jack O'Connor..Nope, he's dead. But he sure wrote a bunch on the 270. Google him.

Jack O'Connor was an amazing shot, and a very fortunate hunter.

I don't want to bet my life on a best case situation, like a bear standing still at 100 yrds...

338-06 with a Brake OP.

This is becoming circular.

Years ago,one of the major hunting magazines took a poll of Alaska guides and asked the same question."If I can only buy ONE gun to hunt all big game in Alaska,what should I buy"? #1 gun recommended was the 30.06,# 2 was the .270.

Back
Top Bottom