• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is .357 Sig awesome or awful?

It's been touted as the best self-defense round ever created. That package in a semi-auto platform only sounds dynamic to me. If I was looking at a Sig it's the only round I would consider. I saw a test where a guy shot a 9mm, a 45 and a 357 into three water soaked phone books. Two types of bullets were used with the 357. The 9mm and 45 only went into the 2nd phone book. The 357 blew through all three books and the round wasn't recovered. The damage to the last phone book was to extensive for any further testing. The exit hole from the 357 was horrifying. I'll take the Sig in .357 thank you!

Tell me more

I was planning on picking up a .357 Sig barrel for an M&P .40 for a little more versatility and performance. Barrel costs less than $100. What do y'all think?
Is it awesome or awful?

Neither.

It's expensive. It performs a little better than hot 9MM. A .357 Sig will generally hold a couple less rounds.

It's a fine self defense cartridge. No worse than any of the mainstream offerings, but not dramatically better than any of them either.

Back
Top Bottom