• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is a blackpowder weapon considered a "firearm?"

One was for educational purposes. I would imagine that they are disabled in some form or fashion.
I had the same thought, until one of the men said that it was his hunting rifle and the other gentleman expressly said that he had fired the rifle the day before.

Right.

So, here's where my head is on this.

Is there a legal precedent to carrying a cap and ball revolver in a "prohibited place?"

That all depends upon just how ignorant the Law Enforcement is that you come in contact with.
Just because they have a pistol and a badge, doesn't necessarily make them a high school graduate.

Are you asking if the sign holds weight or if the law regulating the ownership of firearms includes BP weapons? It's two different questions obviously.
I'd assume PRIVATE property can determine whatever they want to be a prohibited item but legally the definition is clear.
In your case it was public property and hasn't the law recently changed where you CAN carry firearms to parks? Wait, isn't Kennessaw Mtn Federally owned?

Right.

So, here's where my head is on this.

Is there a legal precedent to carrying a cap and ball revolver in a "prohibited place?"
I thought about the same before. I travel to TN now every month, so BP cap and ball revolver would be better than nothing.

Are you asking if the sign holds weight or if the law regulating the ownership of firearms includes BP weapons? It's two different questions obviously.
I'd assume PRIVATE property can determine whatever they want to be a prohibited item but legally the definition is clear.
In your case it was public property and hasn't the law recently changed where you CAN carry firearms to parks? Wait, isn't Kennessaw Mtn Federally owned?
Yeah, that's the kicker...Kennesaw Mountain is a federal property, just like Corps properties. Carry is restricted in total.

I have a friend that carried a BP revolver for several years before turning 21, and had no issues with LE. It is not considered a firearm.

By Federal definition, it is not a firearm - so it would not fall under a firearm ban on federal property. (I'm not sure I'd want to pay my attorney to prove that in court, tho)

The funny thing about the whole deal is if you have a felony your not supposed to have one. Even though you can walk out of a store with no paperwork.

The funny thing about the whole deal is if you have a felony your not supposed to have one. Even though you can walk out of a store with no paperwork.

Not true. Federally you can. One of the guys on the alaska shows had a felony so they only ever showed him hunting with black powder. At least that's how it was explained.

Back
Top Bottom