• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is beer a hobby? Because, if it is, I want to talk about it...

SOLGardener

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
57   0
Reaction score
After mostly a 15 year hiatus from drinking, I've resumed to some degree (well a lot lately).

The back story is when I was young, a buddy and I tried about everything available, from any and everything from Germany, Czech pilsner, Ales, and everything else too. This was way before the micro/craft beer craze.

My fallback was always Killians Red (so much so that my son may or may not be named after it). Then I was sent to Ireland for business, and drank a LOT of Guinness there. I mean a lot- like 5-8 pints a day for three weeks. I think I calculated that I drank about 20+ gallons in three weeks. I mean they drink a lot of beer, and "when in Rome..".

So when I got back, I went back to my fall back of Killians and couldn't stand it.

I had the kid then, so quit drinking because I didn't want him to be around a drunk and so on. Well, now he's raised, so I've had a few now and then, but still only like Guinness.

Last week I had a family tragedy and had to fly to Phoenix. Long story shorter, I was at a Mellow Mushroom with a relative, and he was having a beer, so I had one with him. I inquired for a Guinness on tap, but they only had cans of Extra Stout, which sucks, so I said "I'll have one of what he's having." which was a stout of some sort.

I ask him what it is, and he says "Hangar 24 Imperial Stout Pugachev's Cobra."

I'm not into the whole craft beer scene; 1. because I like consistency, and am too old to try new stuff every time., and 2. it seems a little pretentious.

But, if you are into it, and get a chance to try this, well, make sure you have a designated driver.

I take a sip, and holy crap! It's like a decent stout with a shot of bourbon. I think my eyes actually went :wacko:. It was noted at 13.8% alcohol, but the 2014 batch was 18.9%!

Needless to say, I only had one, because it was $12 a glass, but one was enough.

http://www.hangar24brewery.com/co_barrel_pugachevcobra.php

After mostly a 15 year hiatus from drinking, I've resumed to some degree (well a lot lately).

The back story is when I was young, a buddy and I tried about everything available, from any and everything from Germany, Czech pilsner, Ales, and everything else too. This was way before the micro/craft beer craze.

My fallback was always Killians Red (so much so that my son may or may not be named after it). Then I was sent to Ireland for business, and drank a LOT of Guinness there. I mean a lot- like 5-8 pints a day for three weeks. I think I calculated that I drank about 20+ gallons in three weeks. I mean they drink a lot of beer, and "when in Rome..".

So when I got back, I went back to my fall back of Killians and couldn't stand it.

I had the kid then, so quit drinking because I didn't want him to be around a drunk and so on. Well, now he's raised, so I've had a few now and then, but still only like Guinness.

Last week I had a family tragedy and had to fly to Phoenix. Long story shorter, I was at a Mellow Mushroom with a relative, and he was having a beer, so I had one with him. I inquired for a Guinness on tap, but they only had cans of Extra Stout, which sucks, so I said "I'll have one of what he's having." which was a stout of some sort.

I ask him what it is, and he says "Hangar 24 Imperial Stout Pugachev's Cobra."

I'm not into the whole craft beer scene; 1. because I like consistency, and am too old to try new stuff every time., and 2. it seems a little pretentious.

But, if you are into it, and get a chance to try this, well, make sure you have a designated driver.

I take a sip, and holy crap! It's like a decent stout with a shot of bourbon. I think my eyes actually went :wacko:. It was noted at 13.8% alcohol, but the 2014 batch was 18.9%!

Needless to say, I only had one, because it was $12 a glass, but one was enough.

http://www.hangar24brewery.com/co_barrel_pugachevcobra.php

Dragon's Milk is good too. It's "only" 11%

Well, for me it's Guinness or Southern Comfort and Pepsi/Dr.Pepper, but with the Soco, I find I drink too much, and when I get up the next morning and find that I drank half of a half gallon, there's a guilt that I refuse to accept, so I delay resuming drinking til at least 9am. I call that brunch.

For those that don't know, I found this delightful tidbit-
Guinness Draught cans (not Extra stout!) have a plastic ball in the can that is full of nitrogen. When you pop the tab, the nitrogen dispenses inside the can, so that when you pour it, you get the tiny bubbles that you see in a Guinness from the special tap. It looks and tastes pretty much just like Guinness from the keg.

Oddly, the 4 pack of Guinness cans is around $9 (basically pints-14.9 ounce), but the 8 pack is $11. So it's hard not to save a few bucks and go for the 8 pack.

Stopped drinking a few months ago. But I can tell you that yes, beer can most certainly be a hobby, and an expensive one at that.

Loved me all types of beers, though for whatever reason I stuck mostly to the sours (mostly) towards the end of my long illustrious beer drinking "hobby".

Reactions: VME
Well, for me it's Guinness or Southern Comfort and Pepsi/Dr.Pepper, but with the Soco, I find I drink too much, and when I get up the next morning and find that I drank half of a half gallon, there's a guilt that I refuse to accept, so I delay resuming drinking til at least 9am. I call that brunch.

For those that don't know, I found this delightful tidbit-
Guinness Draught cans (not Extra stout!) have a plastic ball in the can that is full of nitrogen. When you pop the tab, the nitrogen dispenses inside the can, so that when you pour it, you get the tiny bubbles that you see in a Guinness from the special tap. It looks and tastes pretty much just like Guinness from the keg.

Oddly, the 4 pack of Guinness cans is around $9 (basically pints-14.9 ounce), but the 8 pack is $11. So it's hard not to save a few bucks and go for the 8 pack.

Guinness is good for the first sip, and then every subsequent sip loses that taste for me. There are tons of better stouts out there that maintain taste throughout.

Reactions: VME
I made some batches of Mead a few months back and will be get back in to it because there's really nothing like it, but I've considered making some stout at home.

the real secret might just be that I don't like beer any more and since Guinness tastes like milk and burnt toast, maybe that's why I favor it.

Back
Top Bottom