• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is it worth reloading?

Yes, it's def. worth reloading!!! I started out few years ago with a single stage press from FLE-BAY, and have added several more to the collection. I can reload over 50 different calibers, plus the ability to load bullet combinations that you can not by anywhere(like 75gr BTHP for a 22-250, or 220gr 30-06!!!) Like others have stated, if you start reloading, you will become a BRASS-HOUND!!! I can honestly say I probably pick up somewhere in the neighborhood of 5,000 pieces of brass from local range, which drastically reducies cost....some cost examples...reload 1,000 9mm for @ 100bucks...1,000 45's for @ 135bucks....1,000 223's for @ $225, so you can see there's alot of savings in reloading.

Do ranges make you buy the brass from them? I keep my brass to pass on to other reloaders and when I get too grabby at the range they dont get to happy. If they do sell it to you, what do you pay?

Here's a reloading calculator that shows cost per round and includes the cost of equipment so you can see how long it takes to recover your initial startup cost.

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar177.htm

In general it will take several thousand rounds of the calibers the op listed to break even.

You must be plugging in some pretty serious Numbers in that Fancy Calculator or you need to shop supplys better. Because if you just look at the top Chart on the most popular calibers, SAVINGS are apparent right of the shelf price. Also depends on how exrtavigent you get on your reloading setup. Swap or Trade for it, or Buy on Sale, pick up a little here, a little there. I don't have $150.00 in my whole reloading setup and I load for 14 different Calibers. I have a nice setup nothing fancy, Lyman Turret Press, Ohaus Scales, and Digital Scale (I don't like them), Powder Thrower, etc, etc. it's all middle of the road equipment, and I've loaded MANY Rounds. Sure you could dump a couple thousand $$ on the newest latest and greatest setup, but why buy a Kenworth Long Haul 18 wheeler when a Ford or Chevy Pickup will do? Some people have the $$$ and don't care, some just want the Best Stuff out there, nothing wrong with that either. It's all a preferance thing or possibly a budget thing. There's alot of other way's to cut cost's also, group buys with buddies, etc. I actually save more reloading than what their fancy Chart shows. I know people that are into casting their own Boolits and can load even cheaper than I do. Maybe I'll get into that some day too. Then there's the Time argument. Well I'd just be piddlin' with something else anyway so no time wasted there for me. I've got a TV and radio in the Garage where I load, I don't miss a game, movie or anything else if I'm loading at the time. I've alway's found reloading, intresting, fun and relaxing.

Last edited:
Me and three of my neighbors have considered investing in reloading equipment. For the most part we shoot handgun calibers (.380, 9mm, .40, .45, 357 sig, 38/357). Is it worth buying the machinery and materials to reload or will it not give any significant decrease in costs.
Buy your own realoading equipment....(My $, my stuff!) Let the "neighbors" buy their own components!... ie: powder, bullets, brass etc. It keeps everybody honest and since neighbors are like fleas on a dog, they come and they go..JMO, from experience. :argue: :croc:

You must be plugging in some pretty serious Numbers in that Fancy Calculator or you need to shop supplys better. Because if you just look at the top Chart on the most popular calibers, SAVINGS are apparent right of the shelf price. Also depends on how exrtavigent you get on your reloading setup. Swap or Trade for it, or Buy on Sale, pick up a little here, a little there. I don't have $150.00 in my whole reloading setup and I load for 14 different Calibers. I have a nice setup nothing fancy, Lyman Turret Press, Ohaus Scales, and Digital Scale (I don't like them), Powder Thrower, etc, etc. it's all middle of the road equipment, and I've loaded MANY Rounds. Sure you could dump a couple thousand $$ on the newest latest and greatest setup, but why buy a Kenworth Long Haul 18 wheeler when a Ford or Chevy Pickup will do? Some people have the $$$ and don't care, some just want the Best Stuff out there, nothing wrong with that either. It's all a preferance thing or possibly a budget thing. There's alot of other way's to cut cost's also, group buys with buddies, etc. I actually save more reloading than what their fancy Chart shows. I know people that are into casting their own Boolits and can load even cheaper than I do. Maybe I'll get into that some day too. Then there's the Time argument. Well I just be piddlin' with something else anyway so no time wasted there for me. I've got a TV and radio in the Garage where I load, I don't miss a game, movie or anything else if I'm loading at the time. I've alway's found reloading, intresting, fun and relaxing.

+++1

alot of cheaper priced target ammo has pretty dirty powder. you can reload with a good quality clean burning powder and bullets of your choice for the same price or cheaper than the cheap bulk ammo. also reloading gives you a better idea of what your particular gun likes. its definately not for everybody but definately worth it imo. good luck

Buy your own realoading equipment....(My $, my stuff!) Let the "neighbors" buy their own components!... ie: powder, bullets, brass etc. It keeps everybody honest and since neighbors are like fleas on a dog, they come and they go..JMO, from experience. :argue: :croc:

The point I was making was for example: We could by 8lbs of powder and split it into 4lbs each, or you can get 10,000 primers and split 5000ea., 1000 bullets 500ea. etc. etc. We do it regularly and save $$$ that way, in fact there is a Gun show this weekend, and we'll split up the cost on more powder 3 ways, most everyone discounts for Bulk Sales. No fuss, just divide into here is yours and here is mine. Get several guys together and save even more, just like the Group buys, on some Forums.

I actually save more reloading than what their fancy Chart shows.

The spreadsheet does nothing more than add, subtract, multiply and divide the numbers you input. If you're saving more than it shows then you didn't input the correct cost somewhere. This is one of those garbage in garbage out situations.

Back
Top Bottom