• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is Reloading worth it

Right you don't save any money you just shoot more. If you have 50 dollars to spend on ammo, then you will spend 50 dollars but shoot almost twice as much.

If you shoot 45, buy for that and start saving your 9mm brass. Once you have the initial investment paid off, which won't take long shooting 200/week in 45, the additional costs for the 9mm dies and shell plate can be paid for pretty quickly. If you pick a powder that can be used in both, you only need to keep large and small primers on hand.

Its worth it man. I am sure you own a few rifles too. Correct? The type of loads you can work up for a bolt action will amaze you if you load for one particular gun you won't have to full length resize cases. This will lead to improved accuracy along with the fact that you can adjust bullet seating to land location/depth.

Loading for pistol calibers is a good start and will lead you into more advanced reloading techniques after you start reading the reloading manuals.
Downside it is addictive. But, fun.

http://www.hornady.com/
http://www.midwayusa.com/

Last edited:
If you shoot alot, it will pay off somewhere down the road. It's a hobbie for me, and I can work up some light loads so the kids shoot larger calibers. I mean think about a hobbie, Someone goes out and spends 20,000 plus for a camper to go camping 2 time a year. Heck why not rent one. As I said, you spend the same you just shoot more. It's alot of fun working up a load to reach out and shoot tight groups at several hundred yards.

If you are giving $12 abox for .45 I would be interested in knowing where and what kind they are. If you do the math though at $12/box you complete cartridge cost you $.24 to purchase. If you reload it is going to cost you $.23 and that is buying your supplies in bulk. if the info that you gave is accurate, you would be crazy not to keep doing what you are doing. Reloading takes alot of time especially if you have a single stage which is what I have. It is fun and rewarding though.

If you're a person who loves to be self sufficient, then reloading is for you. I reload for bulk shooting (plinking) and load development for accuracy. I also cast bullets in all my pistol calibers and some rifle. Don’t worry Glock fans, I use Lone Wolf barrels and I will never shoot cast in my Desert Eagles.
Always being short on funds in my earlier years, I’ve loaded tens of thousands of rounds on LEE equipment. Sure I’ve had to replace parts here and there, just make sure you follow all lubrication instructions and its fine. fmreloading has always had the best prices on LEE equipment. Just make sure you have an accurate scale. (380, 9mm, 38sp, 357mag, 40s&w, 44sp, 44mag, 45acp, 45lc, 454, 460 ,500 ,223 ,257 Roberts ,30/30, 308 ,30’6 , 35rem, 7.62x39) You just can’t beat the cost savings rolling your own 500!

Back
Top Bottom