• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is the 7mm Rem Mag the 40 S&W of the Hunting Round World?

Magnum = Equals great marketing to take advantage of ignorant redneck.

They’ve done well by me I guess...

.44 magnum
.350 Remington magnum
7mm magnum
300 Win Mag...

E536FBE5-325E-461E-B150-1C191F856D9B.jpeg F4CB715E-56F8-442F-8CE2-2189845F3B50.jpeg 8E618104-E24F-4520-B1E0-1BA94FA10985.jpeg 6CD5C7D1-2147-47FD-8C33-599B5166378A.png9647C3F7-509E-4199-B53B-D1B18168032D.jpeg

All deer magnum tested....

What originally prompted my question is that it seems I've seen several rifles in 7mm Rem Mag that I thought were great deals and priced really well but they just sat and no one bought them. If those rifles had been chambered in 6.5 CM, 308 or even 30-06 I bet they would have sold pronto.

I’ve had one for sale for months that is finally pending.

Try selling a LH + 7 Mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What happened to the 7mm Rem mag?
What happened to the .270 Win?
The .30-06?
The .30-30.

If you brag about owning a gun in any of these calibers, you'll get a few nods of "Yeah, do it OLD SCHOOL baby!" And a bunch of other internet-educated idiots telling you that you have inferior ballistics to the .297 Fedington Whizbang Mag, which is statistically proven to penetrate 6.7% deeper into ballistic media at 700 yards, and what ethical hunter worth his salt wouldn't want to do everything he can to humanely harvest his 90-lb deer by shooting it with a bullet that still packs 1,000 foot-pounds of kinetic energy at 700 yards?

Bottom line: People (gun nuts, I mean) are stupid, and silly, and get their jollies flapping their gums (or fingers) about stuff that has no practical value in real life.

P.S. Normal people, who don't carefully read all the articles in gun magazines and don't register and chat at gun and hunting websites, think calibers like the 30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag are not only just fine, but THE STANDARD BY WHICH OTHERS ARE JUDGED. But what do they know?
They're just Fudds. They only hunt animals in the woods, not on the internet.

Magnum = Equals great marketing to take advantage of ignorant redneck.
Or its what the inventor wanted to call it. .357 is a magnum and everyone loves it. Guess that makes everyone an ignorant redneck. And the army is also ignorant rednecks for adapting 300WM as a sniper rifle. Not because is has amazing range and ballistics. Because rednecks.

7 mag owner here, also a slack jawed booger eatin redneck. Actually own lots of magnums. Wouldn't sell mine. It's a sledge hammer. On me and whatever it's aimed at. But I agree with vega on the selling part. It's not the new fad rifle to own so everyone isn't chomping at the bit to get one

Any caliber in the right hands will takeout a whitetail. I own a Ruger Boat paddle stock in 7mm mag that I bought new in the early 90s. Loaded with Hornady 139 gr factory loads. Everything I hit never made it over 30 yards, with most dropping so fast that it looked like they were hit by lightning. THE WSMs came around and the SAUMs. This flooded the market with new and flash in the pan excitement. Soon to disappear, Find many boxes of 7MM SAUM, 270 WSM on the shelves? Now it's the 6.5 craze. Creedmore. Grendal, Nosler. Meh! The ballistics of the creedmore isn't much more spectacular then a .270 win, 260 Rem or an ancient 6.5 Rem Mag. The old 7mm Mag still plugs along. In a few years it will revive like the Phoenix. What is old will be new again. Anyone seen my Jim Crumbley's Original Treebark camo jacket? I think I'll go shoot my 7mm mag.

High velocity 7mm is difficult to beat. Only real issues are 1) practice is tough, and 2) barrel and chamber life.

Seen several in Colorado shops rechambered to 7mm STW.
I know a guy who hunts exclusively with a 7mmSTW. Dropped a deer at 1000 yards with it (i watched the video of him doing it in Kansas)

Back
Top Bottom