• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is this a king snake?

When in doubt, look at the eyes, poisons ones have slits for pupils not round.
ummm
www.wildlifeqld.com.au_images_snake_id_Eastern_Brown_Eastern_Brown_002.jpg

eastern brown
reviewonline.co.za_wp_content_uploads_sites_68_2016_07_did_blac6b3131f203d79769a884039e95c8939.jpg

black mamba
curioussciencewriters.org_wp_content_uploads_2013_09_Feature_CobraPainKillers.jpg

King cobra

It also occurs to me that there are some seriously ballsy photographers in the world...

Those photogs have either big cajones or big lenses.

I've always heard that venomous snakes round here (East coast) have triangular-shaped heads, i.e.a defined neck behind the prominent hinge of the jaws. (Although I don't think triangular head always means venomous.)

Except the Coral snake. They don't have fangs as such; instead small teeth in the back of their mouths, pointed backward, which only bite something already on their mouth. However, their venom is the same as a cobra. So you don't want to be sticking your finger in their mouth. Red, yellow, and black: red-touch-yellow-kill-a-fellow, red-touch-black-venom-lack (i.e. king snake).
King snakes are called that because they eat other snakes. Good to have around. Especially the big ones, but you gotta wonder how they got that way.

Earlier this week taking out recycle bin in dark and didn't see this guy. Upon return to the side door the motion light comes on and I see him. I'm sure I stepped within inches of him on the way out.
Public service announcement........COPPERHEAD!!!!!

View attachment 1276558
Last month one of my nephews who lives in Moreland went out to see what his dog was raising hell at and found a copperhead that had bit the dog. That was the biggest freakin' copperhead I've ever seen! 5 feet long and fat as hell, the next day he found 2 more, one was about 3 feet and the other one was 2 1/2 feet, both pretty fat too. Later that day he found a nest of those suckers, mostly all pretty small but all wound up dead. Evidently my nephew is pretty handy with a shovel. Lol!

Last month one of my nephews who lives in Moreland went out to see what his dog was raising hell at and found a copperhead that had bit the dog. That was the biggest freakin' copperhead I've ever seen! 5 feet long and fat as hell, the next day he found 2 more, one was about 3 feet and the other one was 2 1/2 feet, both pretty fat too. Later that day he found a nest of those suckers, mostly all pretty small but all wound up dead. Evidently my nephew is pretty handy with a shovel. Lol!
How is the dog doing?

Back
Top Bottom