is this hunting? (wait and spear)

I no longer have any interest in hog hunting. EVER. If I was hungry...Real hungry but I don't care for the suffering of the animal.

(insert popcorn smilie here)

Just as much hunting as any other form of the sport, just not the PC way that most are accustom to these days.

Nick T

- - - Updated - - -

(insert popcorn smilie here)

Just as much hunting as any other form of the sport, just not the PC way that most are accustom to these days.

Nick T

If it is not, is bow hunting hunting? What about a spear and atlatl (sp?)?

Not trying to be argumentative, but where do you draw the line? Seriously.

That being said, you should dispatch the animal as quickly and humanely as possible. I did not watch the video, cause I have no interest in seeing that.

If it is not, is bow hunting hunting? What about a spear and atlatl (sp?)?

Not trying to be argumentative, but where do you draw the line? Seriously.

That being said, you should dispatch the animal as quickly and humanely as possible. I did not watch the video, cause I have no interest in seeing that.
Had the guy in the video done the same with a rocket launcher, I'd hold the same opinion, that being it's not hunting. I PERSONALLY don't bow because of that very thing. When it comes time to shoot something, I like 'dead right there', so I use the most efficient tool I legally can to accomplish the task at hand. The act of killing has very very little to do with hunting, for me. As I've said before, and many don't get (apparently), if I knew ahead of time I was not going to pull the trigger on a particular hunt, I'd still head out there...

Had the guy in the video done the same with a rocket launcher, I'd hold the same opinion, that being it's not hunting. I PERSONALLY don't bow because of that very thing. When it comes time to shoot something, I like 'dead right there', so I use the most efficient tool I legally can to accomplish the task at hand. The act of killing has very very little to do with hunting, for me. As I've said before, and many don't get (apparently), if I knew ahead of time I was not going to pull the trigger on a particular hunt, I'd still head out there...

I really only bird hunt, so I am no authority on larger game hunting. For me, and I think for those who hunt larger game, a big part of the thrill of hunting is the skill required to take the animal. Obviously it should be done in the most humane method possible, and if you are not proficient with the method you are using, you should not be doing it. But I can see how some might want to, rather than use the most efficient method possible, make the scenario harder. As an example, taking deer from a stand is probably the most efficient legal way to do it, but some folks would rather hunt from the ground for the added challenge.

I think there is a spectrum with unjustifiable cruelty at one end and "harvesting" on the other, with "hunting" being along a continuum between the two.

I really only bird hunt, so I am no authority on larger game hunting. For me, and I think for those who hunt larger game, a big part of the thrill of hunting is the skill required to take the animal. Obviously it should be done in the most humane method possible, and if you are not proficient with the method you are using, you should not be doing it. But I can see how some might want to, rather than use the most efficient method possible, make the scenario harder. As an example, taking deer from a stand is probably the most efficient legal way to do it, but some folks would rather hunt from the ground for the added challenge.

I think there is a spectrum with unjustifiable cruelty at one end and "harvesting" on the other, with "hunting" being along a continuum between the two.

Now if you went BIRD hunting with a spear THAT would be hunting!

I really only bird hunt, so I am no authority on larger game hunting. For me, and I think for those who hunt larger game, a big part of the thrill of hunting is the skill required to take the animal. Obviously it should be done in the most humane method possible, and if you are not proficient with the method you are using, you should not be doing it. But I can see how some might want to, rather than use the most efficient method possible, make the scenario harder. As an example, taking deer from a stand is probably the most efficient legal way to do it, but some folks would rather hunt from the ground for the added challenge

I hunt to eat!! Don't rack hunt anymore you have bucks running around not eating and only looking for the ladies...I hunt the ladies because they say as all females do,, if you want it come over here big boy...Hence the ladies are much more tender!! DD

- - - Updated - - -

I really only bird hunt, so I am no authority on larger game hunting. For me, and I think for those who hunt larger game, a big part of the thrill of hunting is the skill required to take the animal. Obviously it should be done in the most humane method possible, and if you are not proficient with the method you are using, you should not be doing it. But I can see how some might want to, rather than use the most efficient method possible, make the scenario harder. As an example, taking deer from a stand is probably the most efficient legal way to do it, but some folks would rather hunt from the ground for the added challenge

I hunt to eat!! Don't rack hunt anymore you have bucks running around not eating and only looking for the ladies...I hunt the ladies because they say as all females do,, if you want it come over here big boy...Hence the ladies are much more tender!! DD

Unjustifiable cruelty only deals with the method of killing. Hunting is a lot more. For example, sitting over a corn pile shooting a deer is not hunting to me. It's just shooting a deer with a rifle. I've done it (legally in Texas). Won't be doing it again. Now, it's not "cruel" per se assuming a humane kill. Now shooting the same deer in the same spot sans pile, after having patterned it from scouting and/or your knowledge of sign and woodsmanship, yeah, to me that would be hunting. Same exact end result but a very different activity.

Sorry but that was not hunting in any shape or manner. That was pure cowardice plain and simple. At least walk down from the stand and dispatch the thing instead of watching it writhe in pain with your camera. There wasn't even sport in it. He stood over a food pile and dropped a sharp object not even knowing where it would hit. Get your sorry azz down from the stand and go head to head with them things with a spear or knife, or use a proper tool and dispatch them quickly. Just another narcissist in this day and age wanting to be on camera for doing something stupid...

Back
Top Bottom