is this hunting? (wait and spear)

Unjustifiable cruelty only deals with the method of killing. Hunting is a lot more. For example, sitting over a corn pile shooting a deer is not hunting to me. It's just shooting a deer with a rifle. I've done it (legally in Texas). Won't be doing it again. Now, it's not "cruel" per se assuming a humane kill. Now shooting the same deer in the same spot sans pile, after having patterned it from scouting and/or your knowledge of sign and woodsmanship, yeah, to me that would be hunting. Same exact end result but a very different activity.

Very much agreed.

Is there a scenario where you think spear hunting (not a survival situation) would be ok? If the hunter was highly skilled, not hunting over bait, and dispatched the animal immediately if there was a need? I am just wondering if the method of kill is completely objectionable, or just the way this bozo apparently did it.

Very much agreed.

Is there a scenario where you think spear hunting (not a survival situation) would be ok? If the hunter was highly skilled, not hunting over bait, and dispatched the animal immediately if there was a need? I am just wondering if the method of kill is completely objectionable, or just the way this bozo apparently did it.
Sure. Natives around the globe do it everyday, to live.
I personally have zero interest in killing something with a spear.... because I don't have to. I have infinitely more efficient methods.

Very much agreed.

There is nothing wrong with spear hunting, bow hunting, or hunting with a sling shot as long as you are prepared to dispatch the animal quickly if you do not kill it on your first shot. To stand back and just watch it die slowly is either cowardice or sadism.

Go on a hog hunt with dogs and a knife. It takes some balls to reach in there and kill that hog with a knife. If you are not prepared to do that, then use a gun.

did he use bait to attract them to the bottom of the ladder?
i suppose if your desperate for food or use the hog as your primary source of food it would be ok, but putting the boar out of its misery after the spear went into it would be nice

Back
Top Bottom