• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Iver Johnson Model X Safety Bolt Action - 1929 Classic .22 Rifle

toobaroque

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
38   0
Reaction score
Let me first say I am NOT a bolt action guy and the people that know me will attest to that. But I was handed this rifle from a fellow the other day and have really taken a liking to it. It is absolutely incredible how this thing works, and the complexity involved with just firing a single shot is amazing. There are so many steps required to just fire a single round that a 50-round box of bullets would last forever.

I've spent hours and hours cleaning this thing up and I'm really happy with the outcome. It is really a work of art. I wanted to share it with the ODT community and get some comments, so here it is in all it's original un-restored glory.

I will be selling this little gem at some point, so feel free to PM any offers. I can't believe what they are selling for on GB, but given the fact that they are very scarce in this early condition, I guess I can understand. This is truly a classic old-school collectible.

Enjoy...

IMG_20170419_185116060.jpg
IMG_20170419_185053806.jpg
IMG_20170419_185101541.jpg
IMG_20170419_185136151.jpg
IMG_20170419_185141625.jpg
IMG_20170419_185148461.jpg

I can "refinishing" that stock without altering the value of you are interested.
Thanks. I can as well, but I prefer the original aged appearance. I'll leave any restoration work to the new owner when the time comes.

Feel free to use my thread to post examples of your work, however. You might get some jobs!

When we divided up the gun's when my dad passed I let my sister have that gun. Funny story about a hunting trip and I used that gun. We had a party of about 5 guys hunting Jack Rabbits in Oklahoma. We were walking along and two jack rabbits took of two different directions. Everyone was shooting shotguns except me I had my Iver Johnson. When those rabbits jumped it sounded like Viet Nam. I pull back the striking mechanism " I don't know the exact word for that particular part bolt probably " and I beading in one one of the rabbits. Pow, I dropped him. Meanwhile, pump and semi-auto shotguns are going off like firecrackers. I pulled open the action and put another shell in and zeroed in on the other rabbit in full run in the other direction and pow dropped him. Everyone was in full argument on who killed each rabbit. Now bare in mind I was the only one using a 22 caliber rifle. So to settle the dispute I cut open the rabbits and dug out two 22 slugs. The guys in the group just threw their hands up in the air and couldn't believe it. We all starting laughing because they figured that rabbit was killed by two 2 cent 22 cal bullets and they went through a box of 12 and 20 gauge shells.

If you have ever seen two jack rabbits in full sprint those little bastards can haul ass. I took two rabbits in full sprint, in opposite directions with two shots that took all of 5 to 7 seconds at about 75 yards with open sights. The two greatest shots I have ever pulled off in my life. Everyone in the group was kind of half mad they missed and half laughing that I pulled off those two shots with that single shot rifle that was older than everyone there. I was a very good shot back then but that was just a once in a lifetime scenario. I can still shoot but nothing like I use to be able to. My dad talked about that story for years sitting around the camp fire on later hunting trips. We always got a nice giggle from it. I love that gun. I am going to try and get it back from my sister so I can add it to my collection. At 50 yards those are accurate as hell.

She said I could have it if she didn't give it to one of her sons. I told her if she did give it one of her sons that I would trade him a new 22 bolt action with scope and sling. An appetizing offering. I want that gun back bad.

Back
Top Bottom