• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Jet Ski Help - Gas Tank Trash

I.P. Freely

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
68   0
Reaction score
So I bought a 1997 Yamaha Waveventure 760 Jet Ski last year that had been sitting for the last four years not running and want to get it ready now that the weather is warming up. Only problem is, inside the gas tank after I siphoned the old gas out, theirs some old crud that I need to get out. I used a hose and tried to break it down using water and siphon it out, but it didn't work. I could remove the gas tank, but that's a huge pain in the but since I would have to remove the motor and don't want to do that unless it's my last option!
IMG_20170316_130106119.jpg

Any ideas???

Here's a pic of the crap inside the gas tank.

What's the diameter of the hole(inches)? Can you get a length of hose, that just fits loosely, and rig it up to a shop vac? Don't use any more water. Use mineral spirits. Available in 1 gal. @ hardware/paint stores.

Going a different direction (instead of cleaning), you could also add some amount of fuel (preferably non-ethanol) with one of the enzyme based tank sludge cleaning additives, then let it sit for a while to allow the enzymes to work. After sitting, the additive will clean the tank amazingly well. I have done this on older lawn mower engines like the plastic Snapper Rider tanks, and then drained the tank. In your case, draining the tank isn't easy, so the best option is to run the engine, if it will run, and allow your fuel filter to catch the bad stuff. The enzyme style cleaners create their own deposits, which can load/clog the fuel filter, so expect to change it out if the engine sounds like it is being starved of fuel. An advantage of this style cleaning is that it also helps clean the fuel lines and fuel tank pickup tube.

I had a 1997 Wave Venture 1100 and the fuel filter was easy enough to replace. It is located under the main seat compartment, on the top right side, and simply required pulling the inlet and outlet fuel lines off, then pulling the filter from its holder. If you don't have it, I recommend you download the Wave Venture Owner's manual from this Yamaha location: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/service/manuals/1998/lit-18626-03-03_373.pdf

I recently traded up to two new Waverunner FX HO Cruisers (1800 cc) and do my own service. Other than being a little cramped on space, the mechanical maintenance is easy enough.

If it has been sitting for 4 years, it is highly unlikely fuel and oil lines are in good condition.
Bigt just gave you advice that saved you the whatever you sent on the ski.
From my experience, if the yamaha engines get any significant damage the ski is totaled.
Also if there are any anomalies when it is running, shut it down and check thoroughly.
See warning above.

Make sure the oil lines going into the back of the carb aren't split or dry rotted

If they come off,you'll need a new engine
I ordered the block off plate and will premix from now on and the primer kit since I've heard they can can be a pain in the but to start.

Thanks to all above for giving me ideas to remove the trash from the gas tank. Now I just need to get myself out there and do it!

That is great news that you can pre-mix. I was told that the Yamaha that I had could not be pre mixed. Pre mix is the only way to go for a responsible man. That way you can be sure that it is being oiled.

Back
Top Bottom