• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Killed My First Rattlesnake Of the Year

Made a couple of new acquaintances at Ft Stewart last Friday while doing some scouting. Love the coloration on the corn snake.

Attachments

• 843D0759-9C5C-42F3-8396-2FDDD2AFABBD.jpeg
    843D0759-9C5C-42F3-8396-2FDDD2AFABBD.jpeg
    381.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 5F384C84-C6B6-44DC-B8F0-33F00FC5F7E1.jpeg
    5F384C84-C6B6-44DC-B8F0-33F00FC5F7E1.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 00E9E3BA-9DC9-453F-922A-F4E18B961708.jpeg
    00E9E3BA-9DC9-453F-922A-F4E18B961708.jpeg
    519.4 KB · Views: 47
Made a couple of new acquaintances at Ft Stewart last Friday while doing some scouting. Love the coloration on the corn snake.
My Dad dealt with many Eastern Diamondbacks and Pygmy rattlers while he was at Ft Stewart. That place is crawling with snakes. Among other things..

Heads up to all my Southwest Georgia brothers, killed a 5ft rattlesnake today, around 4:00. Never seen one this early in the year, or on such a cool day. It was probably 62 degrees and a cool wind. I was actually mowing in a tee shirt, with long sleeve shirt over it. I had been mowing the horse pasture, just in front of my house, just knocking the weeds down, so the grass will come in. This guy was a big one, about 5ft long, but really large in diameter. He had 8 rattles and a button. Some of you may remember my posts from 2021, where Gracie the super Chihuahua, ( all 5 pounds of her) was rattlesnake bitten twice in three months. Be careful guys, they are definitely moving. I know that in official OTD fashion, pics or it didn’t happen. I didn’t have a firearm, so the Snapper Pro zero turn did the job. Kinda looked like hamburger coming out the grass shoot. Sorry about the photos. LolView attachment 5539289View attachment 5539290
You are braver than me if you intentionally ran over a five foot rattler with a lawn mower. I might be willing to do it in a tank. Maybe....

I was looking for them today while retrieving some truck tires from the ditch near the gun club with bambam bambam .

We need the tires for stage props for NRL-22.

I've seen Timber rattlers and Copperheads at the range.
I almost stepped on one changing a target at Marion Rd years back. Checking for snakes was last thing on my mind.

17 and a button

lK2zrpb.jpg

I'm gonna go broke keeping my youngest in snake boots, had to buy another pair the other day for him. I've been struck before turkey hunting and two seasons ago we had a rattlesnake climb into the turkey blind with us. I cant tell you the last time I've seen one rattle, I swear the hog problem has them being quiet these days.

I almost stepped on one changing a target at Marion Rd years back. Checking for snakes was last thing on my mind.
They are out there although I've not seen on on the open ground at the range itself. bambam bambam sent me a pic years ago of a big fat Copperhead at the main gate.

We've loads of rat snakes under the concrete decks on the 100 yard rifle range and 50 yard pistol range.

Back
Top Bottom