• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ladder Test FAIL

triharder72

Default rank <400 posts Supporter
Survivalist
94   0
Reaction score
I loaded my first ever rounds for a 300WM ladder test for a rifle Ive built with the intent of getting to 2000 yards. The result was very disappointing and I am looking for some advice as to where I may have gone wrong.

Ladder (Magneto Speed Sporter)
65.2 - 2660
65.4 - 2724
65.6 - 2701
65.8 - 2783
66.0 - 2702
66.2 - 2760
66.4 - 2765
66.6 - 2790
66.8 - 2782
67.0 - 2792

Load:
Norma brass
Hdy 208 ELD Match
IMR 4350
Winchester Magnum primers

Reloading kit:
Spartan press
Redding comp dies
Lyman Gen 6 powder dispenser

Rifle:
700 action
Rem 26" 5R fluted barrel
XLR Element chassis

All brass was steel pin tumbled, full length sized, trimmed to 2.610, inside and outside chamfered.

I would try a slower powder. Your velosities seem to indicate a consistency problem in the loading process. You might benifit from the match quality primers, and hand weighing powder for the ladder test and groups beyond 500 yards. I do not know weather or not you need magnum primers with the 4350. I only neck size for target shooting.

I only shoot out as far as 600 yards on rare occasions. So, I do not have any experience with the distance you are trying to shoot.

your test only used IMR 4350..

with a new rifle I like to load at least three loads of multiple powders to isolate what the rifle seems to like.. same with bullets..

afterwards you can use the best combination to go further with a wider range of loads to narrow it down.. Yep it takes a while but the end is generally pretty good.. once you narrow it down then you can start changing your OAL to see if that will help.

you might look at the 190 or 210 gr Berger and R22.. also amax 208 with H1000.

Federal 215 Match primers will work well for you.

measure your case necks for uniformity and your cartridge run-out.. the RCBS tool works well for both tasks

How is that a failure? except for the two that were out of the norm, your test showed steady increase with velocity as you increased velocities. Try H1000 or retumbo. Also next time see where the rounds impact instead of concentrating on the velocities first. When I do my ladder test I will do loads like you did but Shoot them for groups to get an accuracy node. then I take a middle point in the node and THEN check for velocity

I hope this comes out the way I mean it.

You have already chosen you brass and bullet, now you just have to find a good powder. Although, having another bullet and powder or two or for testing wouldn't hurt.

Brass prep is key and you need really good concentric rounds for accuracy that range. If your rounds are not concentric it could reduce accuracy. Don't worry about weighing cases or bullets.

Consistency is key here you need to do the same thing for every shot from loading the bipod or resting on bags to cheek weld to the way you grip your rifle.

For ladder testing you need a "minimum"of 300 yards to see where your node is in the rifle system. Shoot at least 10 of varying powder charge to find your accuracy node, don't worry about velocity at this point.

After the ladder test look to see where rounds have with close to the same powder charge are grouping together in vertical strings, not horizontal as wind should not play a part in your ladder test, pick the middle charge and work around that, this will give you a buffer area if you are off a little on a charge. If you do not have anything close then you need to change how you reload or components to get there.

From there you can start OWC testing and check velocities to get your round fine tuned to your rifle.

First, a ladder involves shooting at a target (and doesn't call for a chronograph at all) and looking for the charges that group together.
So, where is the target?
Next, velocity numbers require about 10 shots minimum for statistically significant average—one number is almost worthless.

This . Velocity without accuracy is nothing. There is no way to get 2,000 yards without a great degree of accuracy. You also may want to go to a .338 caliber gun to reach 2,000 . The quick plug in says that goes subsonic between 11 and 1200 yards and it requires an really high 2010 inches of hold over at 2,000 yards. At 2,000 it is at 466 fps with a 2792 start

Back
Top Bottom