• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Law called for me shooting on my Own land. What is the law?

that must be a county ordinance, the State doen't require it.
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-103
Discharge of gun or pistol near public highway or street

The Law was called on me for discharging my firearms on my own property. I have 5 acres in Henry county (zoned RA) and My Bullet stop(RR ties & dirt behind them) is 50yds from my house with a hill behind that. My shooting bench is at my basement door. He said I was shooting to close to my house I had to be 200' from a dwelling. If I continue He said I could be arrested. So as soon as he left I went & measured 200' from my house & unloaded 2 17 rd clips into a dead tree just to let the sob that called the law on me that it was not over. I can shoot legally on my land. I just want to know what the law states as far as distance from dwelling etc. so I can build my new bullet stop. He told me to look at OCGA 16-11-103. All it states ( that I can find on the internet) is 50 yds from roadway(My house is 100yds' from road). I want to print a copy of the law in case the Law is called again. Does any one know what the law is? And where can I find a copy or site to print? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had the same thing ahppen to me a couple months ago accept I have my own rifle and pistol range on my property... I had two Harris County Sheriffs come drive up my 452 yard road that stars 12 foot off the county road... Im well within my right to shoot without endangering anyone.. My range is set with Railroad ties as the ultimate back stop with rebar through them. Rubber tires infront of them with the backs of the insides of the tires quick created and sand in the middle of them 2 deep staggered. The walls are 7 foot tall. One side wall is 14 foot, another wall is built the same way at 165 yards long and anotherr wall is 42 foot long. I shoot everything from Pistol to sighting in a 338 Lapua with NO issues.
The officers asked me if I was shooting and I said yes. They said I wasn't able to do the because I was with in 150 yards of a dirt road, (On my property)... I showed them that they were not correct (Respectfully) and they wanted to check out my range. I told them that was fine. I have 9 various steel targets and have some other IPSC target stands (12) as well. The said wow and pulled out their pistols and asked if they could shoot. I said hell yeah... So they shot for about 10 minutes and said thank you very much and left me a card with their contact info on it.. Since then they have come over quite a few times to play on the range, (I don't mind because I get the Brass:D)
After that I have not had an issue since......

We shot today a bunch. Me and They call me Riggs. Two rifles, a .308 and a Mosin. And a few pistols, 9mm and .45acp. Had plenty of fun and also shot his suppressed AR. So dang quiet! As usual no problems and no cops. But I think the neighbors are used to it. They're at a pretty decent distance but not real far off. Still, big rifles are loud.

Geez........some of you guys should research before posting.

Good job to the ones that did on the 50/200! A good idea for everyone is when these situations come up is to use a word processing program, make a header with the topic in question and copy related law to it and print. You can now keep a topically divided folder to keep on hand where you yourself can say "but the law says".

Back
Top Bottom