• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Law called for me shooting on my Own land. What is the law?

Ok two things sir, first contact the senior leadership (chief) of whom ever the officer belonged. Be respectful but ask for clarification of the legality of shooting on your property and if he didn't mind a letter from him stating his interpretation.

I think you are legal in Henry County as long as you are on residential property and not within city limits.

Second, courtesy will get you way farther than piss and vinegar. Man up and go apologize to the fellow who felt the need to call the cops for you legally "shooting" on your own property. You may find the guy works nights and was trying to sleep or you may find a single woman who scares easily and the shooting frightened her.

Take another right step and offer to allow them to shoot on your property as well and if they don't shoot offer to teach them. Offer to contact them before you shoot so they know what's going on and offer range access again.

At a minimum make them aware that you are a responsible adult and an asset to the community rather than not. We the shooting public already have far too many enemies and there is no need to add to the list.

Good advice

Ok two things sir, first contact the senior leadership (chief) of whom ever the officer belonged. Be respectful but ask for clarification of the legality of shooting on your property and if he didn't mind a letter from him stating his interpretation.

I think you are legal in Henry County as long as you are on residential property and not within city limits.

Second, courtesy will get you way farther than piss and vinegar. Man up and go apologize to the fellow who felt the need to call the cops for you legally "shooting" on your own property. You may find the guy works nights and was trying to sleep or you may find a single woman who scares easily and the shooting frightened her.

Take another right step and offer to allow them to shoot on your property as well and if they don't shoot offer to teach them. Offer to contact them before you shoot so they know what's going on and offer range access again.

At a minimum make them aware that you are a responsible adult and an asset to the community rather than not. We the shooting public already have far too many enemies and there is no need to add to the list.

Best advice in the whole thread!!!!!

You guys are great. Thanks for all the enjoyable reading & advise. LATEST UP-DATE: The Senior LEO over our area (Locust Grove) knows me and where I shoot & he told me to shoot all I want. He said I could even shoot from inside my house if I wanted to. He said he would research the matter further and let me know for sure. My Luck he was off duty the day the law was called. Still I am calling the court house monday and hear what they say and document it all and get them to send me a copy of the code.
I do not know for sure at the moment who called the law & the leo would not tell me. But, I do have a good Idea and this lady would complain( B^**H) if she was hung with a new rope. She complained to the county when they paved the road,started building Subdivisions on our road and anything that she can find to b*&^h about. So inviting her to shoot is out of the question. I stay as far away from her as I possibly can. All tho I could try to talk my wife into B*&^h Slapping her . Ticket anyone? (non-inflated price too)

I still want a Dan Wesson Pointman 9 stainless. Any body got one?

Paulding SO paid me a visit once,also visited my neighbor.No problem.They knew the law,and only wanted to know where the shooter was standing.As long as the shooter was over 50 yards from road,no problem.They are required to answer the call.On the other hand,I know of deputies,same county, answering calls,and not knowing the law.It`s up to us,the shooter,to know the law,and stand our ground if we are harassed without reason.And guys,these forums are the worst place to ask for legal advice.If someone shows a copy of a law,that`s fine,but don`t believe much otherwise.I see bad info given here quite often.

I moved into my new place, I made sure I wasnt in the city limits before I even moved in. Made it 2 weeks had a moving in bbq get together. My bbq partys consent of brisket on the smoker and everyone brings a gun. Well of course the neighbors called the police when we moved up to the bigger guns. The cops joked around with us. Luckly mosts cops in the area are pretty cool as long as your cool with them. actually one comes out with us skeet shooting sometimes.

I had a visit from Walton County. I've been target shooting out back and had never had a visit. One late afternoon I was testing some .38 reloads and fired 10 rounds and went inside. 30 minutes later a deputy knocked on the door. He asked to see my backstop and made sure I was shooting safely. We chatted in the driveway for about 20 minutes about guns and shooting. He told me if they kept getting complaints and told me to stop and I kept shooting the could cite me for disorderly conduct. He was very polite and professional.

I was kinda pissed because I had been target shooting in my backyard for several years and wondered why someone would all of the sudden call on me. I found out which neighbor it was when I was talking to him and he admitted that his wife called because she was scared I might be shooting towards their house and hit one of the grandkids. He said he was pissed at her when the deputy showed up in thier driveway for the call. He apoligized and said it wouldn't happen again. I try to be respectful and not shoot to late or early and try to limit my shooting to 30-45 minutes. I don't shoot rifles at home. I drive to my buddies range 5 miles away and we blast away. Slidefire, tannerite, .50 bmg. We have never had a deputy show up to ask what was going on.

I have been shooting my smgs in my backyard for 7 years and have never had a problem. All my neighbors shoot back there too, We do have good natural backstops. Pickens County is a great place to live!

The State law is 50 yards from a public roadway, there has never been a documented spot where that is measured from, I have been told centerline, edge of road, edge of ROW, to play it safe I'd use edge of ROW.
Now this is state law, you might ck your county codes for other restruction that appluy only there.ok for that link and add it later.
Linky
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-103
Discharge of gun or pistol near public highway or street

A person is guilty of a misdemeanor when, without legal justification, he discharges a gun or pistol on or within 50 yards of a public highway or street.

Guess I'm lucky, my property in Coweta county is surrounded on all sides by people that like to shoot. Heck my FFL lives two doors down. I always try to be respectful about when I do shoot. I don't shoot early or late.

Back
Top Bottom