• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Law called for me shooting on my Own land. What is the law?

Regarding Henry County Code - Sec. 3-4-207. Discharging firearms. It shall be unlawful to discharge a firearm within the confines of Henry County: (1) Within fifty (50) yards of a public roadway; (2) Within two hundred (200) yards of the dwelling house of another; (3) Within any zoning district zoned and developed for residential purposes (except R-A zoning); or (4) In such a manner as to endanger another's life, limb or property. (Ord. No. 82-10, § 18, 7-20-82; Ord. No. 89-13, 8-1-89) State law references: Discharge of firearms on or near public highway, Official Code of Georgia Annotated § 16-11-103, discharge of firearms on property of another, Official Code of Georgia Annotated § 16-11-104 WGTactical [Member]

"...Of another"?

My brother is a cop and the way he tells it that if you are accused of any violation (not just this example) you have the right and the cop has the obligation to show you the exact law you are breaking and why it pertains to you. Also to explain it to you if you do not understand it. If it is done at the time the cop shows up then both parties have a way better chance of understanding the law. Cops can be wrong but citizens can be wrong also. In this case if you have done nothing wrong I would have the law enforement ppl that were called to inform the caller that you are doing nothing wrong to prevent future calls.

I can see THAT conversation going wrong very quickly!!

We called the station in the square for info. They told us it depends on the county, so YMMV.
that is correct. county and city ordinances may prevail. we had the same issue in the Ola area of HenCo as well.

i knew we were in no violation of the law when the focus went straight to trying to find alcohol or a drunk participant (there was neither). i guess they had to respond to the call to make sure we were off the road and away from house as required.

The Law was called on me for discharging my firearms on my own property. I have 5 acres in Henry county (zoned RA) and My Bullet stop(RR ties & dirt behind them) is 50yds from my house with a hill behind that. My shooting bench is at my basement door. He said I was shooting to close to my house I had to be 200' from a dwelling. If I continue He said I could be arrested. So as soon as he left I went & measured 200' from my house & unloaded 2 17 rd clips into a dead tree just to let the sob that called the law on me that it was not over. I can shoot legally on my land. I just want to know what the law states as far as distance from dwelling etc. so I can build my new bullet stop. He told me to look at OCGA 16-11-103. All it states ( that I can find on the internet) is 50 yds from roadway(My house is 100yds' from road). I want to print a copy of the law in case the Law is called again. Does any one know what the law is? And where can I find a copy or site to print? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you REALLY want to get them back, and you are in a legal spot to do so, buy 20 containers of tannerite from sears and blow something up

- - - Updated - - -

<BOOM>

The Law was called on me for discharging my firearms on my own property..

Ok two things sir, first contact the senior leadership (chief) of whom ever the officer belonged. Be respectful but ask for clarification of the legality of shooting on your property and if he didn't mind a letter from him stating his interpretation.

I think you are legal in Henry County as long as you are on residential property and not within city limits.

Second, courtesy will get you way farther than piss and vinegar. Man up and go apologize to the fellow who felt the need to call the cops for you legally "shooting" on your own property. You may find the guy works nights and was trying to sleep or you may find a single woman who scares easily and the shooting frightened her.

Take another right step and offer to allow them to shoot on your property as well and if they don't shoot offer to teach them. Offer to contact them before you shoot so they know what's going on and offer range access again.

At a minimum make them aware that you are a responsible adult and an asset to the community rather than not. We the shooting public already have far too many enemies and there is no need to add to the list.

Back
Top Bottom