• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Laws about others dogs on my land.

gunlover

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
38   0
Reaction score
So I have 2-3 dogs from the neighborhood that come in my yard and use the bathroom and mess with our outside pets by law can I shoot the dogs with a BB gun to run them off or do I have to use pepper spray? I don't know the laws are. I have called animal control many many time and they never show up.

***********UPDATE************
my buddy has some live traps, I'll trap them and take them to the pound no laws broken there, Thanks for all the info and keeping my butt legal this is what the ODT is for filling others in on things we don't know Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Wow, this is a tough question on ODT, these guys on this site LOVE there dogs like FAMILY members. I always have dogs in my yard, but I would NOT hurt someone else's dog. I have a dog that attacks everything he sees, he's my Avatar. He's my big boy and if someone hurt him there will be a fight!!!

Because the owners probably don't know any better either.

Sprinkle chyanne pepper powder around where they like to do their business and the perimeter/where they enter your yard. They hate and it persists for months. After a while they will be trained that your yard is a "no-go, makes your nose hurt" zone.

You can get big resturant containers of it cheap.

i honestly cant imagine a BB gun being that big an issue if their on your land. Will give them just a little reminder not to come around and I don't think they are gonna tell mommy and daddy they got popped in the butt by a BB

So I have 2-3 dogs from the neighborhood that come in my yard and use the bathroom and mess with our outside pets by law can I shoot the dogs with a BB gun to run them off or do I have to use pepper spray? I don't know the laws are. I have called animal control many many time and they never show up.

You can't shoot them, cruelty to animals will be what your charged with. Defense of person or livestock is your only legal way to shoot them. Pooping on your lawn doesn't count neither does annoying your pets.

i honestly cant imagine a BB gun being that big an issue if their on your land. Will give them just a little reminder not to come around and I don't think they are gonna tell mommy and daddy they got popped in the butt by a BB

Be careful with this. You can get real jail time and big fines for "animal cruelty". DA's love to prosecute for this because they make for great press.

Shoot bottle rockets

Per op, id talk to the owners. If they dont fix it, take a dump in their yard

Shoot, shovel, shut-up

Don't really have an issue with dogs unless they're aggressive, but stray cats annoy the piss out of me. At least the dog won't climb on your vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom