• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Legal question about dog ownership

So basically just swallow my pride and play nice until 14 days? That's kinda my plan right now. I really feel at some point, I'm going to have to tell this lady to go kick rocks.
if you can. like you said, either way she gonna get told sooner or later. i'd tell her you intend on keeping the dog, and offer to cut her a check.

she didn't put the dog up in her house. you did. and good on you.

Possession is 9/10th's of the law. You are in possession of the animal. Offer to reimburse the woman and take care of the dog going forward. Simply because she "gifted" money for care of the dog doesn't give her legal claim to it.

That's 100% my thought, but I'm trying to verify that by the letter of the law here in GA so I know my rights to this dog.

Did you register the dog through the county animal control? If you did this and are holding it through the stray hold period, the dog is yours once the hold is up.

I believe she's trying to create a paper trail (she has a history of this, hence my concerns) but I can prove beyond any doubt that I've had full possession since day one and that she's been well taken care of.

Sounds like a messy civil matter. If y’all came to an agreement the police should not be involved because it is now civil. You haven’t violated state law because you attempted to find rightful owner of the dog.

No it’s not illegal to record someone.

Back
Top Bottom