• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

legalities of an underground 1 lane range on residential property.

My Uncle had one in his basement right in the middle of a big city.
(This is how he did it, best I recall...)

A bunch of 55 gallon drums welded together with another bunch wrapped around the outside.
They were susupended from the ceiling in the basement.
Inside of them he had insulation.
He had a room at both ends.
The one he shot from was vented with a bathroom type fan to the outside of the house.
It had sound proofing tiles and a good tight door. Had good lighting too.
At the other end was a steel plate that water ran over. I don't know if it was purchased or made, but it looked professionaly made to me. The pump was like a little pond pump, it ran the water through a pipe over the steel and into a reservoir was filtered and run back over the backstop. He hooked it to the light in the room he shot from, so one switch and his range was up. Lights, fan and pump. The rounds ended up in the reservoir area.

I don't remember any smoke in the room, I guess he invested in a good fan. You could not hear the firing outside his house, but you could hear the bullet strike the backstop. Outside is was just a dink.
Like a hammer on an anvil, but muted.

Maybe that'll give you some ideas you can work into your plan. It worked for him many years.

... This just in... No legal issues for indoor shooting. The only concern would be the noise. So if you keep that under control you should be fine. There are some backstops commercially available. Vent will be the big one.

Sounds like a ventilated root cellar or climate controlled storage area.

It's not so much as what you say as how you say it. If someone complains then you may have an issue with your root cellar...

So I live in unincorporated Cobb County and want to build an underground range at the house. My plan is to sink two 40ft. shipping containers in my back yard. The entire thing is going to be covered. Lights and ventilation will have separate electrical, powered via generator while being used.
Since it will not be above ground, what rules apply to this type of range? Are the rules the same as above ground ranges? I don't want to expend the funds to find out that I just made an expensive storage space.

Any input would be appreciated.
Those shipping containers aren't as strong as you think. The ground will need to be shored and braced to keep them from caving in over time.

I have been wanting to do this. Guess I'll just have to shoot at your place til I buy a new house :D.... Will need silt fence and to rent a crane to lower the shipping containers in.

Highly doubt that ^^^^
I work around them every day, they are designed to be strong but not strong enough under that kind of pressure without some extra reinforcement. When they're stacked on a train or ship the weight is equally distributed. There's not alot of direct top and side pressure like the earth will have.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom