• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Lets see your everyday carry!!

Appendix carry a Gov't 1911? Wow. I'm impressed. I tried it once...just no way I could get used to it.

I started messing with it really as a purpose driven mode, i.e., a better concealment mode on those few and far between more discrete carry days, which usually entail carrying my M&P Shield. Once I got used to it though, and found the right rig for me, I prefer it for everything. The thing with appendix carry is you have to find the right rig for you. As popular as the CCC Shaggy is as an appendix rig, I simply can't use it, just won't work. Tried the JM Custom Kydex rig and had a winner, and I've also become a fan of the G Code INCOG. As far as carrying a full size gun appendix goes, I think in a lot of ways it's easier. The additional length helps keep the butt of the weapon tucked into your body, where a smaller gun can tend to roll outboard on you. For that reason, a lot of guys that AIWB a Glock 19 will do it in a Glock 17 holster.

Many in the training community don't like appendix carry.
I try to keep an open mind & believe that IF the shooter can follow the safety rules it has some great advantages.

It's definitely shooter specific and requires the right mindset, i.e., understanding that every time you holster your weapon the stark reality is if you **** up, you will die.

I've run the last couple of classes exclusively appendix. To be fair though, they were with instructors I've shot with before who knew me to be a competent shooter that had my **** straight.

I started messing with it really as a purpose driven mode, i.e., a better concealment mode on those few and far between more discrete carry days, which usually entail carrying my M&P Shield. Once I got used to it though, and found the right rig for me, I prefer it for everything. The thing with appendix carry is you have to find the right rig for you. As popular as the CCC Shaggy is as an appendix rig, I simply can't use it, just won't work. Tried the JM Custom Kydex rig and had a winner, and I've also become a fan of the G Code INCOG. As far as carrying a full size gun appendix goes, I think in a lot of ways it's easier. The additional length helps keep the butt of the weapon tucked into your body, where a smaller gun can tend to roll outboard on you. For that reason, a lot of guys that AIWB a Glock 19 will do it in a Glock 17 holster.

You never tried the Dale Fricke? I've had more of them come through than any other I believe.

It's definitely shooter specific and requires the right mindset, i.e., understanding that every time you holster your weapon the stark reality is if you **** up, you will die.

I've run the last couple of classes exclusively appendix. To be fair though, they were with instructors I've shot with before who knew me to be a competent shooter that had my **** straight.

I don't have a problem w/ it as long as the last part of your post is present.
I've found that since it is a more "progressive" style of carry the guys that use it are more serious about their training i.e. serious student/ practitioners.

Smith Model 60 .357 with Black Talons; Breitling Colt Quartz watch; Buck knife from RAY here on ODT as a gift; Bianchi thumb break suede IWB RH holster and yes, that is a Coach front pocket wallet.

I don't have a problem w/ it as long as the last part of your post is present.
I've found that since it is a more "progressive" style of carry the guys that use it are more serious about their training i.e. serious student/ practitioners.

I'd agree with that statement. There's always going to be some yahoo who saw it on youtube and just thinks it's the new cool guy way to carry, but as a general rule I think you're right.

If I had an instructor request no appendix carry for whatever reason I'd respect that, but all the guys I train with these days are good with it given the right criteria.

Back
Top Bottom