Let's talk about ZERO

My zero is my zero. I'll let friends shoot any gun I own, but I don't want them making any sight adjustments. I will let you dial the scope on my precision rifle, but that's because I can go back to zero without an issue every time.

I have a friend who when he buys a rifle and scope he always has someone else zero it for him and proceeds to complain that he can't see that this guy did really get it right. Just not perfect for him. Moral- fix your own crap.

Every rifle has an absolute zero. Everything else you guys are talking about is shooter ability, not the rifle. A true zero does not take into account the shooter in any way. The ONLY exception to this is the particular sight picture a person prefers using iron sights. As far as scopes go, the only variation is in parallax and if the shooter is not dead on with parallax it's the shooters mistake, not a change in the rifle's zero. If a scope has a parallax adjustment and it is set to zero parallax at the given shooting distance there will be no change of impact at all from shooter to shooter unless the shooter makes an error while making the shot. The primary reason that cheek weld is stressed when aligning the eye with a non adjustable parallax scope is that variation in parallax is taken for granted. There are better ways of solving this problem.

I haven't had any problems with others scopes not being zero for me.
Iron sights are a little different. Some set zero above the front sight and others set it as the front sight.
My pistols is set for the latter. I don't use it for "precision" shooting

I agree with this as long as the rifle stays LOCKED in the vise. as soon as its taken out of the vise and a couple people shoot it from a bench, will the zero be the same for each person?! that is the question.

The zero will still be the same as far as the rifle is concerned, different people will shoot the rifle different and possibly hit the target in different locations. That does not mean that the rifle is not in a state of absolute zero. It simple means that conditions are different. There are way to many different variable to accurately answer this question. I have rifles that have shot 3 shot groups at 300 yards with me shooting that would cover a dime and the same rifle off the same bench with a buddy shooting was about 3" off.

I have never seen 2 people shoot a rifle the exact same way!

The zero will still be the same as far as the rifle is concerned, different people will shoot the rifle different and possibly hit the target in different locations. That does not mean that the rifle is not in a state of absolute zero. It simple means that conditions are different. There are way to many different variable to accurately answer this question. I have rifles that have shot 3 shot groups at 300 yards with me shooting that would cover a dime and the same rifle off the same bench with a buddy shooting was about 3" off.

I have never seen 2 people shoot a rifle the exact same way!

This is true, but I have seen many people have the exact same POI with a rifle that has a parallax adjustable scope or using a technique that eliminates parallax issues with a scope that is not adjustable. Several friends of mine can and do shoot my rifles with the same POI as me and each other.

One of the ways to learn long range shooting is to have the rifle mechanically zeroed or have someone that already knows what they are doing zero the rifle. If your POI is off once this has been done, it indicates that you are making some kind of mistake in your shooting technique. If a shift in POI is being made due to shooter error it takes away your ability to accurately predict bullet flight at different ranges. That means that all of the predictive calculation systems and programs are worthless to you and everything has to be done by trial and error. It also means that it is very likely that you will have unpredictable POI when you change your shooting position. If you want to become an excellent long range shooter and your POI is different than the true zero of the rifle, you have a problem that needs to be addressed, not just accepted.

Back
Top Bottom