• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let’s talk about custom hunting rifles

If you're spending time and money on custom guns, that's time and money you're not spending on shooting and hunting. And, yes, I am significantly smarter than most of the people you're ever met.
Spoken like a true poor person.

Just joking. Some people have the money to buy nice things and still practice and be good.

Back in the day, Sears made some very good custom rifles. I have a 30 06 built on an FN Mauser receiver, custom stock, and the bolt is slick ass a button. Last deer brought down at 200 yds

Here's my custom Kauger Arms 243ai, 22" Proof carbon barrel and stock. About as lightweight one wants without a brake. It's a one hole wonder with 4 different HL loads and will shoot any factory ammo less than 1 moa. Hornady and Norma factory ammo at 1/2" moa. Kauger Arms is a local gun builder from Hazelhurst GA.
IMG_20221026_185138291.jpg

I'm eventually going to have something assembled from a custom shop. I've had rifles worked on, but that's it. I want something pretty lightweight with a shorter barrel to use with a suppressor. I can't find anything off the shelf that's close enough to what I want. I "need" that rifle like I need a hole in my head.

It's becoming easier and easier to assemble a top tier custom bolt gun at home. Some of the aftermarket actions have such incredibly tight tolerances that pre-fit barrels from a number of mfg's are real options with a plethora of chambering, length, profile and material options. All you need is a barrel vice, action wrench and torque wrench and you can put it together in your basement. Choose your chassis/stock and off to the races.

Back
Top Bottom