• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let’s talk about custom hunting rifles

It's becoming easier and easier to assemble a top tier custom bolt gun at home. Some of the aftermarket actions have such incredibly tight tolerances that pre-fit barrels from a number of mfg's are real options with a plethora of chambering, length, profile and material options. All you need is a barrel vice, action wrench and torque wrench and you can put it together in your basement. Choose your chassis/stock and off to the races.
I do wonder how many custom rifle shops are just assembling higher end pre-fit components.

Interesting thread. I’ve never felt any need for a custom hunting rifle, but I’ve never shot at a deer or any wild game past 600 yards either. Then add in the fact that “need” never stopped me before, and I now find myself bookmarking this one.

At some point, we all figure out what we really enjoy then we stop spending money on stuff we don't use.

Speak for yourself.

Interesting thread. I’ve never felt any need for a custom hunting rifle, but I’ve never shot at a deer or any wild game past 600 yards either. Then add in the fact that “need” never stopped me before, and I now find myself bookmarking this one.

Speak for yourself.
I'm not sure that there is a "need," especially with the plethora of factory options available these days which offer many of the options that were only available via a custom build 10 years ago. That said, there is something to having a rifle built exactly as you want it and not having to settle on a single aspect.

It's becoming easier and easier to assemble a top tier custom bolt gun at home. Some of the aftermarket actions have such incredibly tight tolerances that pre-fit barrels from a number of mfg's are real options with a plethora of chambering, length, profile and material options. All you need is a barrel vice, action wrench and torque wrench and you can put it together in your basement. Choose your chassis/stock and off to the races.
The few Tikka actions I’ve seen are consistent enough for pre-fit barrels I was very impressed with the consistency in tolerances across the handful I’ve seen. I’m sure there are some that would prove me wrong but from my small sampling they’re impressive.

Easy to build your own custom rifle now with Tikka and Aero Solus at the "less expensive action" to "sky is the limit" cost actions are availble also. Lots of prefits available or even barrel nut options for "non-prefit" actions.

As stated earlier, "Nine Run Gun" builds awesome rifles.

There are shops now where you can go inside and point to the stock/chassis, action, barrel, trigger, scope mount, scope you want and they will spin it all together for you in hour or so.

The few Tikka actions I’ve seen are consistent enough for pre-fit barrels I was very impressed with the consistency in tolerances across the handful I’ve seen. I’m sure there are some that would prove me wrong but from my small sampling they’re impressive.
For a budget friendly factory rifle, you can't go wrong with a Tikka.

I'm not sure that there is a "need," especially with the plethora of factory options available these days which offer many of the options that were only available via a custom build 10 years ago. That said, there is something to having a rifle built exactly as you want it and not having to settle on a single aspect.

I can dig it. That’s why I bookmarked it.

Back
Top Bottom