• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Liability for Shooting Robbers

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
During an armed robbery, if you're in a position to draw your gun and drop the robber(s) before they can shoot you or any innocent people, you've got a legal GREEN LIGHT to "go to guns" and take out the trash, right?

Right. Let's all assume that's true, without question. Armed robbers who are spotted by armed citizens in the process of robbing a store at gunpoint are fair game. It's open season on them, for the purpose of any of the "use of deadly force" justifications in Code sections 16-3-21 through 16-3-24.

Suppose you witness an armed robbery in a store where you're shopping, and you immediately draw your gun and start shooting. That's legal, right? Right. There can be no liability on your part for what happens next, right? Well...
Ummm....
Let's see here......

NOW, what if one of your bullets misses a bad guy, or overpenetrates through him (maybe you only struck his bicep, not the middle of his chest) and hits an innocent bystander?

What if you miss the bad guy with your first 2 shots, and while your bullets embed themselves harmlessly in the insulated wall of the Kroger meat locker, the bad guy fires back at you, and HE nails some innocent shopper down the aisle a few feet from you?

Can you be held liable in a civil action later, for the gunshot wounds suffered by innocent victims, based on the idea that you were negligent in choosing to open fire on the bad guys, and thus provoking them to shoot back in your direction?

You MIGHT SAY "no way, because the armed robbers were endangering the lives of everybody ANYWAY, so even if my actions were dangerous, nobody can say that the innocent victims would have survived the encounter without being shot anyway. Some robbers just shoot people at random, on a whim, even when nobody fights back or refuses their demands."

But consider this: Only a very small percentage of armed robberies of businesses at gunpoint involve a murder. Per statista.com's website on statistics and data, in 2015 there were 123,300 incidents of armed robbery in the USA that year.
In contrast, there were only 6,400 murders with handguns for any reason, under all circumstances (not just involving robberies).

Even if EVERY SINGLE HANDGUN MURDER in the USA had been an "armed robbery gone wrong" scenario, that leaves about 117,000 armed robberies where nobody got killed. That's 95% of the time.

But since we know that many handgun murders are from circumstances OTHER THAN armed robberies of businesses, I suspect the real number is about 1 %. There's a 99% chance that if nobody resists an armed robber, he won't shoot anybody in the store.

A 1994 crime report by Jeffrey A. Roth published by the US Dep. of Justice, based on 1980s crime statistics, said that the odds of an armed robbery involving a gun as the robber's weapon resulting in a killing are only 4 out of 1000, or less than half of a 1% chance.

So even though an armed robbery is ALWAYS enough of an imminent threat that an armed citizen can use deadly force without breaking the laws against murder, aggravated assault, etc., maybe the risks associated with an armed robbery are NOT SO LIKELY that you can always immediately draw down on the robbers and start slinging lead without regard to the possible consequences of having a gunfight in a public place?

The issue is NEGLIGENCE. The violation of some unwritten duty of care owed to the people around you, and putting too much risk on them in a way that a court could say was unreasonable later.

Consider that Georgia has a form of criminal homicide that includes causing the death of another by doing "a lawful act in an unlawful manner," and that "unlawful manner" means in a "manner likely to cause death or great bodily harm." O.C.G.A. 16-5-3(b).
Even if this could not be prosecuted as a stand-alone criminal charge, due to Georgia's immunity laws about self-defense cases, could this be the violation of a "duty of care" owed to bystanders in a business that you see is being robbed?

There's a thousand reasons not to get involved. What's legal and various often far fetched what if liability scenarios are going to be the LAST thing on anyone's mind if they encounter an armed robber.
I get "It's good to think about things and know the risks" but I also get that when the rubber meets the road NOBODY knows what they are going to do until they do it (or not). If I feel me or mine are in danger, I'm shooting to eliminate any and all threats. Period, end of discussion. I'll deal with the aftermath later. At least I'll hopefully be there.

I always read your posts and find them very informative. I appreciate you putting them up and sharing. You should link to your book on Amazon as I need to buy a new copy (I have the old one) and I think many people on here would benefit from reading it. Keep up the good work man.

As to the question at hand, I pray that I never have to be in the situation and I guess that is when the decision would have to be made.

Thank you for the wealth of information. I always maintain that the last thing I want to have to do with my carry weapon is to open fire. What's the old saying? Even if it's a good shoot each bullet will cost you about 100K to defend yourself. That may be exaggerated but I consider opening fire on another human being for any reason to be an absolute last resort lifesaving measure.

Nonliberal, thanks for the kind words.
Here's a link to the book: https://www.amazon.com/Georgia-Weapons-Laws-Laypersons-Summary/dp/1514871327
If you guys at Dobbs Defense want to carry it, call me about wholesale pricing to retail dealers. We've got an even better deal with the printer now than we had a year ago.

Other retailers that carry it are Ga Firing Line (Marietta), Sharpshooters USA (Roswell), Big Woods Goods (Canton), Cherokee Gun & Pawn (Canton-- order pending), Moss Pawn (Jonesboro), Autry's Armory (Fayetteville), Johns Creek Indoor Range, TruePrep (Marietta), Patrick's (Savannah), and a few others that I just can't think of right now.

Be smart. Use your training. And don't go through life worrying about all the legal "what if" scenarios.

What training? Training to hear a buzzer, move to cover while drawing, and double-tap all the targets your instructor has placed on the range for you to shoot during this drill, and then yell "CLEAR" ?

That kind of tactical shooting training isn't at issue here. Let's assume that you are a reasonably prudent gun owner and you could pass any state's mandatory training class and qualification shoot. The issue is WHEN to initiate gunplay, if at all.

What training? Training to hear a buzzer, move to cover while drawing, and double-tap all the targets your instructor has placed on the range for you to shoot during this drill, and then yell "CLEAR" ?

That kind of tactical shooting training isn't at issue here. Let's assume that you are a reasonably prudent gun owner and you could pass any state's mandatory training class and qualification shoot. The issue is WHEN to initiate gunplay, if at all.
If you're serious about carrying a gun to defend yourself all of those issues should be dealt with in training. Training is not just on the range.

Excellent food for thought and many here would definitely be served well by knowing the potential of negative results once the smoke has cleared. Sounds like a solid book to own.

As for me, if there is even the slightest chance of my family or myself being harmed by the bad guys then the risk is worth it. You regret the actions you didn't take way more than the ones you did. I will add that my back ground in LE and the Marines gives me a much clearer perspective of what my actions should be in a situation. It's a tough situation to be in regardless and if avoidable that would always be my choice.

I have often wondered after reading posts on this site if some members see them selves as a Charles Bronson with the gun permit and carry weapon?..

I mean my personal belief is my carry permit and carry weapon is my LAST resort..
The absolute LAST thing to me..after hiding and even trying to flee..is to draw my weapon and defend MY life.

Just this week in San Antonio a weapon holder took on armed robbers in a mall shootout..Didnt turn out well.
The weapons holder and another good Samaritan(who didn't even have a gun)..took on the robbers and the guy without a gun was shot dead..the guy with the carry permit did hit one of the robbers but was also hit and in the shootout several innoceents were also hit..
Turned into a ugly mess..

Back
Top Bottom