• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lightning link and other AR type questions

Thanks for all of the info (well most of ya'll anyways). I guess my whole reasoning for asking should have been more clear....I'm not just wanting to bait the ATF for this. My grandfather is a machinegun dealer and has M-16s (pre- and post-'86, papered, etc) and I wanted to get him this for the one that doesn't have a 3 rd burst for Christmas (really easy gift for him). But since he lives in New Mexico, I would probably take it when I visit him around the holidays so it would have been in my possession for a few months, hence me asking.

Thanks again for the info esp. clearing up the Drop In Auto Sear and Lightning Link misunderstanding as I'm not an AR/M-16 platform guy.

If it were me I would not worry about it then...you don't have an AR-15 - even if you did it would need to have new pin holes drilled and machining to create an illegal machine gun. I would get it for gramps and not worry then.

If that is all you want to do them just change out the burst trigger group for a standard trigger group in a registered lower. Otherwise you are treading on a slippery slope . Remember when the atf decides to make you a test case even if you win you lose. The atf has more money, lawyers, people and time to make things bad for you.

I would not really want to risk it either unless I truely got some sort of legal advice from a proffessional in this field.
I suggest you ask a lawyer that specializes in this line of work. Your local shop owner might even be able to point you to the right person to ask.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many people are really in prison getting their a$$es pounded for having these parts?
Out of all the killers, thieves, rapists, bank robbers, child molestors/murderers, and drug trafficers, I would really be suprised to find john doe sitting there for having trigger parts.
It would probably be a huge fine and years of probation + all your rights stripped from you for the rest of your life, at the most.
But I could be wrong too......just throwing in my two cents worth just like the rest.

Seek legal advice.......You'll sleep better.
:nod:

every demilled ak and ar kit i've every had had the full auto trig set in it. The ATF has never closely oversees the importation of these and has never taken issue. You can go to tapco and colt will sell you a burst kit and mail it to you.

If you get nervous have them ship to grandpa and tell him not to open it ;)

every demilled ak and ar kit i've every had had the full auto trig set in it. The ATF has never closely oversees the importation of these and has never taken issue. You can go to tapco and colt will sell you a burst kit and mail it to you.

If you get nervous have them ship to grandpa and tell him not to open it ;)

:rofl: poor grandpa!

Ok, first things first. What you are dealing with is a highly regulated class III Item. Lightning links and FCG's are what gives m16's the ability to shoot full auto. That being said, buying those items and storing them is the same thing as buying everything you need to make Meth... if the ATF REALLY wants to be a dick they can put you in jail for conspiracy to build an illegal machine gun considering you own the auto parts group. That being said, You have to understand that the law isn't the same everywhere as it in Georgia. States can go ABOVE federal Law, meaning something that may be legal to posess in Georgia may be highly illegal in another state. So lets say you cross into Alabama on your way, get pulled over and searched, and posession is illegal, guess what happens? But before you take any of our advice and buy said product, contact your local ATF agents and get straight facts from them. Then, every state you're going to cross, contact the local ATF's and find out for yourself. We are not law enforcement officers, we are not ATF Agents, and we are not Lawyers. Just because someone here may say something here is legal doesn't mean crap to you.

Back
Top Bottom