• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lightweight build advice

Well my first part came in for the build today it’s the 13.5” hyper light magnesium aluminum alloy handguard from Vseven. With mounting hardware it’s pretty light at 6.2OZ
V-7 makes parts of fit and finish that are second to none. I use a lot of their parts. Safeties, firing pins, of Titanium parts when I go that route. They are not cheap but worth every penny when you look at their products up close and personal. Just try not to get sparks close to the Magnesium. I have seen older Corvettes burned down to nothing but a bucket of sinders when a tire went and those magnesium wheels burst into flames and they burn hot, hot, hot! 🌡️🔥 I am sure the coating will provide some fire retardant benefits.

V-7 makes parts of fit and finish that are second to none. I use a lot of their parts. Safeties, firing pins, of Titanium parts when I go that route. They are not cheap but worth every penny when you look at their products up close and personal. Just try not to get sparks close to the Magnesium. I have seen older Corvettes burned down to nothing but a bucket of sinders when a tire went and those magnesium wheels burst into flames and they burn hot, hot, hot! I am sure the coating will provide some fire retardant benefits.
There are some parts I've considered moving to Ti, but not because of weight. Do a RNG at 17 South and see if you can drive home before your gun starts to rust. That brackish Savannah water is brutal and Ti would go a long way toward stopping that.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

You boys really took that to far. Filling it in was if it bothered him. The rest of that bullsh*t was to agitate the main liners. The only reason I would use it as I said at the end of that thread was to fill it in because those little set screws don't have a lot of threads on them to begin with. If it was too far down in the gas block it wouldn't have too many threads applying pressure. So I would fill it in so that the set screw would have plenty of threads to bite and hold the gas block good and secure to the barrel. And I said that at the end of the thread but not until I got the community good and riled up. Somebody's got to play The devil's advocate and get these people spitting out information. It got exactly what I wanted to get done and that is put the boys with information in overdrive and start giving the man some answers that he wanted. Everybody claims to be a community but nobody jumps in and gives the people that have questions the information. I'm happy to lose a little face to get the people talking doesn't bother me at all. If the surface of the barrel was prepped right it would keep the filler from cracking and allow the set screw to do its job. I'm completely aware of the limitations of that stuff. I used to help my father make epoxies in the lab and he had a doctor's degree in chemistry and rubber technology from the Akron University in Ohio. And a doctorate in chemistry from OU so I learned a lot from him about chemistry when I worked for him. Don't think don't take everything I say so seriously. I've been accused on here of not being clever enough to get the people agitated and worked up. Notice how I drop out of the scene after I drop a A-bomb like that. I just set back and laugh because I can see the anger and hostility in the post. The funniest part about that is they think I actually buy it.

Your altruistic didacticism is to be applauded--Bravo, Sir, Well-done! :)

There are some parts I've considered moving to Ti, but not because of weight. Do a RNG at 17 South and see if you can drive home before your gun starts to rust. That brackish Savannah water is brutal and Ti would go a long way toward stopping that.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Isn't that why they make aerosol Rem-Oil? Spray that Puppy down THOROUGHLY before you put it in the Case & then clean it at your leisure...

That's a substantial savings considering most handguards are 13 plus ozs.
It comes with a cost and to be honest I was a little unsure how strong it would be but by the feel and sound of it I would have guessed it was a regular aluminum handguard until you pick it up lol

Isn't that why they make aerosol Rem-Oil? Spray that Puppy down THOROUGHLY before you put it in the Case & then clean it at your leisure...
If I had my gun in a salt rich environment it would get cleaned immediately upon arriving home. None of this clean at my measure. If I lived in that a kind of slaty air there would be a lot of stainless, nickel boron and titanium. Just to be sure. Like some I am not afraid of coated parts.

Back
Top Bottom