• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looks like Colt ain't givin' up....

Unless you are a tier one operator, you are correct, the likelihood of being left on a mountain alone in enemy territory is almost nil. But remember this discussion was not about what the everyday guy would do or why they might want to select one firearm/round over another. The everyday guy needs all the rounds they can spray with minimum recoil as not to offend weak wrists and recoil shyness. so I agree, the 9mm would probably be a better choice for that guy. And that guy did actually have a Beretta 92 on that mountainside so that is what he though was best. But I can see why the other round would also work quite well despite any capacity issues. Which I personally think is an overrated requirement and sometimes can be a crutch, but that is for another discussion.

But ammunition choice does actually matter when you are looking at both rounds in the required configuration, and countless uses of the 45acp FMJ are there to show the terminal ballistics of that round.

The question should not actually be about the round because 45 ACP FMJ is better than 9mm FMJ....The question should actually be, why use a 1911 platform when there are platforms that allow you to double your capacity using the 45 ACP.
Ok

This is awesome marketing from Colt because all they're saying is they consulted with some special operations personnel when they were deciding how to spec out the pistol and here's what Colt decided to go with after hearing their input. They're trying to sell it to the general public consumer. We're the target audience, not the military, as far as I can tell.

This is awesome marketing from Colt because all they're saying is they consulted with some special operations personnel when they were deciding how to spec out the pistol and here's what Colt decided to go with after hearing their input. They're trying to sell it to the general public consumer. We're the target audience, not the military, as far as I can tell.
That is probably the accurate assessment, especially since I haven't seen or heard of a current contract requesting a new 45ACP pistol.

You are assuming a lot by assuming that there will always be a team to back you up, What if recoil did not matter, (it actually doesn't in the use we are talking about here, and your accuracy rate of hitting your target is close to 100% (ever seen a delta team clear a room with a live hostage). would you not want the round more likely to put someone down quickly rather than expending multiple rounds to do the same job, (remember your talking about FMJ here). Most of the guys you are talking about can actually choose which caliber they want, and which pistol they want, if Colt developed a pistol specifically for them, it would stand to reason that there were enough of the guys requesting a pistol that does what they built.
Lol. All take multiple shots.

And 9mm actually has more effective range than 45.

I like 45. I shoot 45. But let's be realistic with the expectations of any handgun cartridge. They all take multiple hits.

Lol. All take multiple shots.

And 9mm actually has more effective range than 45.

I like 45. I shoot 45. But let's be realistic with the expectations of any handgun cartridge. They all take multiple hits.
I hear ya, 70-90% of self defense engagements are done in 3-4 shots or less. I like both cartridges own guns for both given the choice and forced to use ball ammo I would take a high capacity 45. Aim small miss small...

Same old same old. Has colt produced anything significant in last 30 years? They don’t know how to produce anything else except python, ar’s and 1911 that’s it! Who remembers biggest pos the all American 2000, what a fking joke. When will colt make something different instead same old same old? Never. Hopefully Since CZ bought out colt they will finally make something new.

Same old same old. Has colt produced anything significant in last 30 years? They don’t know how to produce anything else except python, ar’s and 1911 that’s it! Who remembers biggest pos the all American 2000, what a fking joke. When will colt make something different instead same old same old? Never. Hopefully Since CZ bought out colt they will finally make something new.
The thing is they produced genuine innovations and high end stuff during the SCAR development era. There are tons of designs and guns they just didnt pursue that could now be produced for the civilian market

Back
Top Bottom