• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Low balling

i always offer what i think is the lowest amount they will hear before saying "**** you". I often times make offers that are honestly fairly low, how the hell am i gonna know until i at least try? sometimes you will be surprised and get a yes and then you get a hell of a deal, more often then not though you get a counter offer and you go back and forth until a deal is made, thats haggling. Now granted haggling is getting less and less common so alot of times you'll shoot an offer to someone and simple get a a "no" and thats when you know your dealing with someone who doesnt know HOW to make a deal.

Usually when I say "firm," that means I'm already taking a huge loss and I'm not willing to take any less than that.

Also, if someone lowballs but it isn't horrendously low, I'll play ball and counter offer. But if it's a ridiculous lowball, I won't waste my time with a reply.
Not even a LOL?

Example... Hypothetically, if someone was posting a used Beretta 92 FS for $475, I would consider that I can get a brand new, perfect condition one through PSA for $449. My negotiation price would start at a minimum of 10% lower than that price (@$400) if it truly was in "Like New" condition with box and everything else that came from the factory. If the gun had a bunch of visible scratches and holster wear in the posted photos, I would consider it a reliable beater gun but would probably offer no more than @$275-$300.
You'ze ain't countin' the value of not haffin' to pay sales tax and gaise to git to the store to buy it and ammunition to break it in and the range fees, etc. That count's fer sumptin, don't it?

I saw a shotgun advertised the other day in great condition, with some handling marks.:shocked:
It looked like someone handled it with a running chainsaw.:wacko:

Some folks should take their firearms to a pawnshop and get an appraisal before they get "lowballed" on the ODT.:mmph:
I secretly enjoy watching people get butthurt over what they are offered in pawn shops.

If it doesn't say firm how are you supposed to know what they would actually take? What do guys consider a fair offer say on a 300$ gun that they are asking 325$
WHAT' THE DIFFERENCE,LOW BALLING WHILE OTHERS ON HERE ARE HIGH BALLING. IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE BIDDING GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. YOU WILL NEVER GET LOW BALLED ON CRAIGS LIST,GUNBROKER,OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUMS. GET REAL

Now granted haggling is getting less and less common so alot of times you'll shoot an offer to someone and simple get a a "no" and thats when you know your dealing with someone who doesnt know HOW to make a deal.
That depends on how low the offer was. My saying just 'no' means, "**** off and go somewhere else with that ****."

Not even a LOL?

You'ze ain't countin' the value of not haffin' to pay sales tax and gaise to git to the store to buy it and ammunition to break it in and the range fees, etc. That count's fer sumptin, don't it?

I secretly enjoy watching people get butthurt over what they are offered in pawn shops.
That's very true I've gotten great deals in the parking lot of pawn shops

Not even a LOL?

I usually won't reply at all, but I may start sending an "LOL" now that you mention it. That should be worth a chuckle!

i always offer what i think is the lowest amount they will hear before saying "**** you". I often times make offers that are honestly fairly low, how the hell am i gonna know until i at least try?

a lot of times you'll shoot an offer to someone and simple get a a "no" and thats when you know your dealing with someone who doesnt know HOW to make a deal.

Or someone who doesn't think that, given your initial offer, you'll ever agree on a price, and doesn't want to waste their time.

If someone's asking 500 for something which is worth 450 to you, offering 350 may result in a simple 'no'. Fine line between a low offer and a **** you offer, and it varies between people.

"your dealing with someone who doesn't know HOW to make a deal". Not necessarily, just someone who doesn't want to negotiate the way you want to.

if it is priced right from the get go it will sell fast
if its priced high after many re-listings it will finally sell at the same price as if it was priced right form the get go, but how many people did you blow out of the market. I know I personally see some names that have listed items I would like to have and can buy, but know they are overpriced before even clicking on the listing, so I just cruise on by and look for something else. we all are deal shoppers and want a great deal, but have to be realistic as well, to me I am a collector and like to dabble and look on here at different stuff if something strikes my fancy I buy it - if not I move on and don't loose any sleep. Its the hunt for a particular firearm or accessory that I love, growing and managing your collection, I may find a nicer Weatherby mark 5 308 than the one I have so I will buy it and sell the other to help someone with there collection. its like a huge garage sale and yes it has changed a lot over the years, I remember when you priced something someone bought it now its like a damn auction site and a source of income to several

Or someone who doesn't think that, given your initial offer, you'll ever agree on a price, and doesn't want to waste their time.

If someone's asking 500 for something which is worth 450 to you, offering 350 may result in a simple 'no'. Fine line between a low offer and a **** you offer, and it varies between people.

"your dealing with someone who doesn't know HOW to make a deal". Not necessarily, just someone who doesn't want to negotiate the way you want to.

i can agree it all matters on how low but even with a low offer a deal can still be made. take your example, say it is worth 450 to me but i take a swing for 350 and i get someone who responds simply with a "no" well then i move on but had that person said 475 maybe i come up to an acceptable price for them, biggest thing to me is you never know so might as well take a swing at it. If i ever get an offer that tends to be too low i normally just send em back my initial price minus a dollar as a way of saying "try again". Haggling is half the fun of the game.

if it is priced right from the get go it will sell fast
if its priced high after many re-listings it will finally sell at the same price as if it was priced right form the get go, but how many people did you blow out of the market. I know I personally see some names that have listed items I would like to have and can buy, but know they are overpriced before even clicking on the listing, so I just cruise on by and look for something else. we all are deal shoppers and want a great deal, but have to be realistic as well, to me I am a collector and like to dabble and look on here at different stuff if something strikes my fancy I buy it - if not I move on and don't loose any sleep. Its the hunt for a particular firearm or accessory that I love, growing and managing your collection, I may find a nicer Weatherby mark 5 308 than the one I have so I will buy it and sell the other to help someone with there collection. its like a huge garage sale and yes it has changed a lot over the years, I remember when you priced something someone bought it now its like a damn auction site and a source of income to several

A majority of what I buy here I pay asking price, because it is priced right to start with. If It is something I can't live without, I get it for 40% less than high ODT retail . Easy to do on gunbroker.

Back
Top Bottom