• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

M&P Shield first impressions

patriotpower

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
233   0
Reaction score
I finally got my hands on an M&P Shield in .40 the other day. I thaught I would share my initial findings with this pistol, and hope to get our well respected feedback.
I little history first. I have carried many types of handguns in many types of holsters in the last 5 years. Kahr PM 9 & 40, Ruger LC9, Glock 26 &27, and now the Shield in 40 S&W.

What I find works best for me is an IWB, tuckable holster for all of these different firearms. I usually end up with a Galco soft tuck or similar. That said, lets go back to the list of carry guns. The Kahr is a great gun. Small, light, and thin. You can carry it all day in complete comfort. Problem (or excuse to trade) was the DOA trigger. It's smooth and buttery, but still DA. Trade for a Glock 26.

The Glock is a Glock. Familiar, simple, light, and comfortable all day. No problems concealing it at all in the above mentioned holster type. Problem (additional excuse to trade) Ruger LC9 appears to be a better design and surely I can learn to like this new DAO trigger. Trade Glock

Ruger LC9 is small, easy to conceal, bla bla bla. Same stuff different pistol. Except that loooooong trigger pull and the dern magazine safety. Back to Glock.

Then the Shield. I need it (pathetic excuse to trade again). Can't find it. Dude wants way to much for it on the trader. No surprise. So I go hunting. Found it $399+ tax. Sell Glock get Shield, and here we sit. Shield on my side.

Single action, thin, light, familiar (my service pistol is a M&P9), and fits my Glock 26 holsters for the most part. So what's the question you ask? Why the long grip Smith. At least radius the end so my shirt will slide off when it catches. I half considered hitting the heel with a belt sander myself.

I check my shirt tail every time I get out of my truck to be sure it's not caught up. The only gun listed above that catches my shirt is the M&P Shield. I know body type, cant, holster, and a trillion other factors contribute, but it sure seems that they could have made it a little shorter in the grip rather than pander to the "pinky rest" crowd. No offense "Pinky", but some of us can grip just fine with two fingers (get your mind out of the gutter Troll).

I digress.

I may just put this Shield up for trade for a 26/27, but I need to shoot it first and carry it for a week. Someone may get themselves a new gun next week.

Please feel free to torch or respond as you will. I'm not thin skinned. Just interested in your thaughts.

Be safe.

It comes with flush and extended (6/7 round). Snags everytime with the extended grip. Sometimes with the flush. The holster I have now does not cant. Any holster you buy, I would recomend a guard over the safety. It's very sharp on the side meat.

I found the same problem with a CW9 and did exactly what you suggested above and "bobbed" it. Worked perfectly for me. I had a 9mm Shield and for some reason could never dial it in accuracy wise.

My thoughts on your snag observations of the Shield are this: Kahr PM9 ;)

On a related S&W note, their 380 Bodyguard is about the crappiest S&W pistol I have ever shot.
I have handled total junk pistols that had better triggers. Still am a S&W fan, but not of that one.

With a little cant I can tuck the grip up under the shed I seem to have developed. If I dont stop eating cheeseburgers at lunch, I'm going to grow a garage to park a full size.

Back
Top Bottom