• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

M&P Shield first impressions

I pocket carry my Shield 9mm in a Desantis. It prints somewhat - so what. I actually prefer the 8 round magazine to the 7 as it gives me a better grip yanking the gun out of my pocket when I practice drawing. So I have 9 rounds 9mm Plus P as an easy pocket carry. I just don't like IWB. I have one of those and a Galco Leather OWB, still prefer the pocket. It's sitting nicely as I type this.

And I paid $550 - no tax, for mine. Congratulations on a $399 snag.

i am in the same boat. i normally carry a g26 and also have a cm40. the kahr sits in the safe until i can get some range time with it. so far, i can't hit a bull in the ass at 10 paces with the double action trigger. i need to shoot it 100 rds or so. i hope i can dial it in due to the 9 oz less weight, but if not, i will sell it and keep on carrying the glock.

I carry a M&P 40 Shield in a Blackhawk #28 Askins Compact Concealment holster and my shirt NEVER hangs up on it. I used to carry a Ruger SR40c (with a Ghost trigger), but the Shield is slimmer and easier to carry concealed. ME LIKE!! :hail::hail:

I've decided to keep the shield and save for a 27 and 9mm conversion barrel. The glock stays hidden better, but you can't beat the slimmer shield if you want to throw it in your pocket or a small pack pocket.

Another note
Buy a small bottle of appliance epoxy from Home Depot to fix the front sight when the white dot flys out during your first mag dump.

If it were me, I'd wait for the crush to end to acquire a Shield. They're pushing them out too fast and it's a $400 gun. It's not worth $600 because you can't wait.

I've decided to keep the shield and save for a 27 and 9mm conversion barrel. The glock stays hidden better, but you can't beat the slimmer shield if you want to throw it in your pocket or a small pack pocket.

Another note
Buy a small bottle of appliance epoxy from Home Depot to fix the front sight when the white dot flys out during your first mag dump.

If it were me, I'd wait for the crush to end to acquire a Shield. They're pushing them out too fast and it's a $400 gun. It's not worth $600 because you can't wait.

Thanks for the review! Have you looked at the S&W 9c? If so how does it compare in size to the shield?

I carried an M&P 40c for a while. It was too big. I guess my conclusion is that the glock 26/27/32 frame is the ideal size as well as the grip shape. My body type demands the short grip. Also, the subtle radius at the end of the grip is very helpfull as far as keeping your shirt tail from getting hung up when you walk into a bank. I believe it's an under appreciated characteristic of the Glock design. Other designs should take it into consideration a little more.

I don't consider it gospel. Your milage may vary, but it sure is fun to discuss.

By the way the epoxy worked great. Very easy. Time will tell as far as durability. The front site is also offset to the right. It is visually apparent. I need to get a punch or maybe some big dots or Trijicon HD's.

Anyone got some input on some night sites?

My only anti towards the shield is that when compared to my 9c, its not much smaller. So, I'm happier with my 9c. Held both at my lgs and couldn't see much of a difference.

Back
Top Bottom