• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

M1a EBR: Build or Buy Built?

Socoms are interesting, but I would steer clear of them, the gas system is not standard M1A, on top of that, I am going to assume you plan on using it as a precision platform, at least I hope so since the EBR does enhance anything as far as battle rifle goes, and generally seems focused on improving the ability add optics for longer range engagements with rapid follow up shots, for which it does well, though I am not a fan of the set up. As far as barrel length for an EBR I would stay at a minimum of 18, and likely prefer 20 inches, unless you are thinking you are going to use it for CQB. As far as buying full rifles, since, once again, you should be going for precision I'd look at either one of the loaded models or a national match model.

Now, if you asked me my thoughts on spending three grand on a long range precision semi automatic rifle my vote would be the Larue OBR, same concept, AR10 platform, used the SR25 pattern mags which mean the new .308 Pmags work with it which are half the price of M1A mags, optics are a little easier to mount. But, if you are buying an EBR because it makes you dick hard... well we all have guns which we desire and no one understands, mine just happen to be H&K P7s, which honestly aren't much cheaper.

Put a night scope and maybe hogs out in Texas, I wouldn't be wanting to hump it, I have a friend who has one and before optic or bi pod they are heavy, or at least the balance on them is less then ideal in my opinion. But, like I said, if it's just because you want one to have then there are worse things to spend money on, at least with this you know if they time comes you can sell it and get your money out of it.

Back
Top Bottom