• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

M855 green tip ammo BS

Ask ATF they ruled it wasn't AP. Buy some M855A1 and test that against the green tips' Then let us know
I didnt ask you about the A1 i asked you about a statement you made about m855. I have shot 10’s of thousands of both rounds while in the sandbox. I remember them “fake ap green tips” rippin right through alot of body armor. They werent made to rip through armored steelplate. They were made to go through light weight body armor to take an enemy combatant out of the fight. Now your A1 has better ballistics then the m855 but doesnt go thru 3/4 or 1” plate maybe 1/4 or 3/8” armor. Green tip ammo will make it thru ballistic glass of less than an inch thick. We tested this on battle damaged trucks we had. So please again tell me how they standard 855 is fake armor peircing.

Enough of all this AP rounds and asking dollar a round. Even AFT stated that it wasn't AP. If you ever open the copper jacket you will find a small steel pin. Stop wasting your money on fake AP ammo. Now real AP 5.56 ammo is M855A1 and that goes for $1 a rds. The only pro on the M855 ammo is that it is 62gr and my rifle likes heavier bullets.
the green tip was to identify it from standard 5.56 ammo that the military was using and they went to the slightly heavier bullet when they changed from a 1 in 12 twist barrel to a 1 in 9 twist.

You guys are amazing...

What’s the point of this argument? I mean really.. if you want to know refer your selves to 35-38. I have given you the Governments ballistics expert, Dr. James Newill. I have also given you some of his and his teams work. I have provided you the APG VALVERA shoot. If your not responded to like I said before put a FOIA paper into the system specifically targeting the information your seeking.

What’s the point of arguing this topic...

The round goes through 3/8’s mild steel...

It is not a major AP round meant to stop a tank such as a Armour-piercing discarding sabot (APDS) however it is a Saboted Light Armor Penetrator (SLAP) round meant to penetrate light skinned armor vehicles with improved barrier penetration.

It seams that this thread is a pissing match that going nowhere because none of you will consult the Gov’t ballistics expert.

Good night......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn't the M855 touted as penetrating a steel pot helmet at 800 yards ? That's what it was designed to do? IIRC.
I don't remember that specific claim. I was in training when the transition to M855 was underway. We were told it was a better ballistic performer at longer ranges.

Green tip ammo will make it thru ballistic glass of less than an inch thick. We tested this on battle damaged trucks we had.
What was your target behind your Ballistic glass? ss109's would not penetrate standard safety windshield glass ( commercial safety glass found in all cars ,trucks etc... ) with any 'clear terminal' effect ................I have shot many windshields and hundreds of rounds of ss109's.....The penetrate r cone is the only thing that would pass through it would take out your eye if you was not wearing glasses . The ( cone ) would go though the cardboard target sitting on frount seats but spall would not. The ss109's were being shot out of an 20" barrel and most if not all M855's are run though 14.5 " and 16" barrels. Is M855 that much more effective than the SS109? I know M855A1 EPR is another story

Is M855 that much more effective than the SS109?

Depends on what your trying to accomplish.

Are your looking for hard target performance to mitigate a threat on the other side?

Are to looking for soft tissue performance? This is how the bullet preforms according to entrance and exit in a body how the effects of the jacket breaks into spall this creating wound channels.

All of these rounds, 855 and 109 are good rounds for civilian practical application along with every other .233 round out there....

Depends on what your trying to accomplish.

SS109's v/s M855.............in penetrating ballistic glass, I have only dealt with commercial safety glass...and I have nothing to accomplish, just find it interesting that green tip M855 have been seen to pass though one (1) inch ballistic glass. 'nothing more nothing less'

Back
Top Bottom