• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

man up thread

I remember my first AD......15 years old...on my 2nd date....her name was Kelly.....

i53.tinypic.com_6igt4k.jpg

Hammer slipped out of my fingers while de-cocking a Marlin 30-30 and BOOM! I was at our deer camp "range" and pointed down range so there were no problems, but I needed a garden hose and a change of underwear.

Smith 5946. Police trade-in at pawn shop. Took home, cleaned, oiled, full mag in, rack a round then hit the decocker....BANG! Round misses leg by inches, thru leather couch cushion, hits hardwood floor, ricochet to TV cabinet, another ricochet into the wall. I'm trying to explain it was a faulty decocker by Mrs thinks I am now totally inept at handling firearms.
Shop gladly did full refund. I wasn't interested in fixing it, I wasn't going to get back up on that horse. Good news is no one was bleeding. Bad news is I killed the couch, have a hole in my floor and a dent in the entertainment center and now I flinch everytime I use a decocker!

Last edited:
Smith 5946. Police trade-in at pawn shop. Took home, cleaned, oiled, full mag in, rack a round then hit the decocker....BANG! Round misses leg by inches, thru leather couch coshion, hits hardwood floor, ricochet to TV cabinet, another ricochet into the wall. I trying to explain it was a faulty decocker by Mrs thinks I am now totally inept at handling firearms.
Shop gladly did full refund. I wasn't interested in fixing it, I wasn't going to get back up on that horse. Good news is no one was bleeding. Bad news is I killed the couch, have a hole in my floor and a dent in the entertainment center and now I flinch everytime I use a decocker!

Dang man, that scares me! Did you figure out how/why the decocker failed? I have a 3913 and I think they use the same method of decocking.

Smith 5946. Police trade-in at pawn shop. Took home, cleaned, oiled, full mag in, rack a round then hit the decocker....BANG! Round misses leg by inches, thru leather couch cushion, hits hardwood floor, ricochet to TV cabinet, another ricochet into the wall. I'm trying to explain it was a faulty decocker by Mrs thinks I am now totally inept at handling firearms.

I had a coworker point his sig at my chest and hit the decocker one day after I told him I didn't trust decockers. I took 4 guys to get me off him, and to this day I know he thanks his lucky stars I wasn't carrying that day.

Last edited:
Dang man, that scares me! Did you figure out how/why the decocker failed? I have a 3913 and I think they use the same method of decocking.
No I did not. It shook me up so much that all I wanted was rid of the pistol. While I love Smith revolvers, that was my first and last Smith auto. My guess from the wear on the pistol it had seen a lot of use, may have been dropped. Coould have been missing or damaged part, I wouldn't have noticed because this was my first Smith auto. Who knows, but it was cheap so I bought it. It was too heavy for me anyway. Oh yeah, I killed the rug, too. Dang 45 Golden Sabers are BAD!.

I had a coworker point his sig at my chest and hit the decocker one day after I told him I didn't trust decockers. I took 4 guys to get me off him, and to this day I know he thanks his lucky stars I wasn't carrying that day.

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't even know what to say........

No I did not. It shook me up so much that all I wanted was rid of the pistol. While I love Smith revolvers, that was my first and last Smith auto. My guess from the wear on the pistol it had seen a lot of use, may have been dropped. Coould have been missing or damaged part, I wouldn't have noticed because this was my first Smith auto. Who knows, but it was cheap so I bought it. It was too heavy for me anyway. Oh yeah, I killed the rug, too. Dang 45 Golden Sabers are BAD!.

I hear you. I'm going to learn how the decocker and other safties function inside and out on my Smith now. I should already know........ :(

I had one incident with a non-gun guy that really wasn't dangerous just really bad practice. I was cleaning my 30/30 and one of my roomies at the time was a completely non-gun guy. He didn't have anything against them he just had not been raised with guns so knew almost nothing about them. (We were all sailors so he'd at least seen and used 1911's in Boot Camp....)

He picked my 30/30 up and pointed it at me like he was shooting it. It couldn't have gone off as the bolt was on the table and not in the gun but I honestly don't remember getting up out of my chair but the next thing I knew I had the rifle out of his hands and he had a stunned look on his face. My other roomie just barely had time to react to the fact I had a gun pointed at me and had just started to say something to the non-gun guy by the time I was up and removing the gun from the stunned roomie who never expected such a response.

We then sat him down, explained how guns work and that guns are ALWAYS treated as if loaded, even if parts are missing... He never got really comfortable with guns by the time we changed duty stations but he always treated guns as deadly weapons that were loaded from then on. He expressed enough interest that we took him out shooting a few times after than incident.

I had a guy when i worked a bps that wanted to see a pistol in the case. i was the only one available at the time and even though i didnt work at the counter, i had keys and knew pistols ok so i decided to help him. I took it out, dropped the mag and racked the slide back, showed him it was empty, and handed it to him. he thumbed it over for a bit before pulling the hammer back and then leveled it right at my face. that gun was out of his hands and locked back up before he could put his hand down. he kept saying "well im not done looking", lol after a good scolding, he was done for the day. im all for helping people and calling out little safety issues but you dont level a dang pistol at someones face as a joke.

since it was a sig.. you had nothing to worry about. If it were a smith... a different story. lol j/k... I would have been pissed regardless!

I always say stick to what you are good at.. in smiths case... its started with wheel guns and should have stayed there. Same goes with taurus.

Wont own an auto by either company after the first run of junk sigma and the early pt92's... I am sure they have gotten most of the bugs worked out by now... but after having bad experiences... no thanks.. i stick to sigs

Back
Top Bottom