• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Marlin Lever action question

Sneakypete, brother, it is your rifle and you do what you want to it. If it makes you happy, I will be all for it. Let the some others scoff at your rifle, not me.
Hey, as other members can attest, I owned a Mossberg 464 SPX. And I loved that rifle!! So far be it from me to look cross eyed at making the rifle into what you want.

Thanks JWC, this is the same yr model I own as a kid (1976),found this one by accident,couldn't pass it up. My thinking was modernize it but keep it old school. I can reverse and make it original in about an hour. I'm thinking about going with a super custom stock (exotic wood) guy out of LasVagas NV.

I got the champion stock only because I was going to refinish the original. I'm guess I'm wierd I must have all weapons at the ready at all times( something I learned at Mackall )

I agree that t's possibly a replacement barrel, but it's definitely a Marlin barrel with the correct stampings, in period correct font.

I'll take some pictures today or tomorrow and PM them to you.

And yes, this is the gun that got scoffed at. She's treated respectfully at my house and she shoots great!

I agree that t's possibly a replacement barrel, but it's definitely a Marlin barrel with the correct stampings, in period correct font.

I'll take some pictures today or tomorrow and PM them to you.

And yes, this is the gun that got scoffed at. She's treated respectfully at my house and she shoots great!

I misunderstood. I thought the barrel had no markings at all. Yeah, it is probably a replacement barrel. That would explain the lack of a JM stamp. I would love to see some pictures of your M39a. I would also like to know if the barrel roll stamp has a New Haven or a North Haven address. Keep that rifle and shoot it often. They are great shooters.

Well, JWC, I screwed up. I dug that 39A out, and it DOES have a JM stamp. It's just on the RIGHT side of the barrel! I don't know whether I totally missed it before or just forgot, but it's there. I'm wondering how much of the gun's story I really remember at this point...

After the buy out, Remington directors came to the North Haven plant in 09 and forced them to set up work assembly pods. They were given a time limit of 2.5 minutes per gun. Quality suffered for a while till they got used to it.
After the move to Ilion, a lot of guns wouldn't even function mechanically. Their quality would of been much better, and profit losses much less, if Remington hadn't of been so arrogant to think they didn't need any help from any ex Marlin employees.

I wouldn't own a Marlin made after 08. I really prefer the ones made before 83 anyway. That's when the cross bolt safety was introduced.

Well, JWC, I screwed up. I dug that 39A out, and it DOES have a JM stamp. It's just on the RIGHT side of the barrel! I don't know whether I totally missed it before or just forgot, but it's there. I'm wondering how much of the gun's story I really remember at this point...
Gimli2, that is great news!!! If my memory serves, when Marlins were produced at the New Haven Plant, the rifles were stamped on the right of the barrel. When Marlin moved to the North Haven Plant, 1969/1970 or there abouts, Marlin began stamping the barrels on the left side. Since yours is a 1963 vintage M39a, it should be stamped on the right side. I should have mentioned that earlier, but frankly, I did not think about it.
Your scoffed at M39a will be scoffed at no more. Congrats!!!
If you are having difficulty remembering the gun's story, maybe I should keep it for you for a while...maybe several years. I am positive your memory will return during that time. And if it doesn't, you won't remember I have your M39a. lol

After the buy out, Remington directors came to the North Haven plant in 09 and forced them to set up work assembly pods. They were given a time limit of 2.5 minutes per gun. Quality suffered for a while till they got used to it.
After the move to Ilion, a lot of guns wouldn't even function mechanically. Their quality would of been much better, and profit losses much less, if Remington hadn't of been so arrogant to think they didn't need any help from any ex Marlin employees.

I wouldn't own a Marlin made after 08. I really prefer the ones made before 83 anyway. That's when the cross bolt safety was introduced.

IMR, I don't know of any buyout where the new owners aren't arrogant!lol
I will not debate you on whether to buy a Marlin after 2008. I don't presently own one, but I might be open to buying one if the price is right. Overdfl has opened my eyes to some real possibilities.
IMR, if you will not buy any Marlin after the production date of '83, man you miss on on a very cool 30TK. A 30/30 Texan made for K-Mart. These are just nice little rifles. But, to each his or her own.

CQB27, I did as you asked and looked at the ad. As for it being birch wood, I don't believe it is. It appears to me that the flash of the camera has "lightened" the color of the wood. I have had that happen when I tried to use a flash to take a picture. I tried to find out if Remington is using birch, and there is a limited amount of information out there. A call to Remington produced the quick reply that they use walnut, but when I pressed a bit, well...they said they used walnut stocks. The machine checkering has been around a while. My Marlin .357 from 1991 has machine checkering, as does my Marlin .410 from 2008 and my Marlin 45/70 from 2007. I would prefer a smooth stock, but I don't mind the machine checkering. Especially if I want the rifle! lol
I cannot find out positively if Remington assembled Marlins with the JM stamp. At this point, with the limited information I have, I would lean toward that Remington did not assemble rifles with the JM stamp. I lean this way because the proof mark is supposed to be stamped after the rifle was assembled. There are a few "take off" barrels that had the JM stamp, and Remington, when they reassembled the rifle, put their stamp either over the JM or on the other side. Thus, there are a few, a few, barresl with two stamps.
Bottom line, to me if it has the JM stamp, it is a Marlin. If it has the REP stamp, it is a Remington. Until I find out differently, that is what I am going with.
But, you have to remember, this is my opinion, and just what do I know?

Back
Top Bottom