• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Marlin Lever action question

t
DD, I traded my, non-ported, 444. I regret that it was traded, but I like what I received in return. I would like to find a .444 ported model. In my opinion, the .444 is an unappreciated round.
Unfortunately for me, I have definitely been guilty of underappreciating the 444 round. I had a 444 that was modified a little to make it a really handy brush gun. I sold it to a really fine member here, so I know it's found a good home and don't regret it too much......But I would like to have it back someday too. At the time I didn't realize how rarely a 444 in good shape comes along and definitely didn't appreciate the beauty of such a hard hitting, mild recoiling round!

Here's a pic.......I know some will blanch at the modifications.....but I'm a sucker for a short barrel. It was a cross bolt safety model, so an newer JM stamped barrel rifle. But it did display very fine wood and craftsmanship.

Marlin-444.jpg

I have only one Marlin lever gun now, another that has had the barrel shortened to 16.5 inches....I know, I know....my apologies to Marlin Hive. But in my defense it was in very rough cosmetic shape, although mechanically it's a beauty to behold and a testament to the pre cross bolt safety days craftsmanship at Marlin.

004.JPG

Is there a difference in quality between the pre cross bolt and post cross bolt safety Marlins. I am sure there is. Just like the pinned and recessed era S&Ws vs the early years of non pinned, non recessed cylinders. But for me the difference is very slight and if I can get passed the cross bolt safety or the non pinned/recessed modifications, I still have a fine weapon in my hands. Now the Remlins and Later two piece barrel, hammer lock Smiths.....no argument from me they differ greatly from the former. They lack the hand fitted/craftsmanship care of the days gone by, no doubt. But even so they have the potential, if done right, to be every bit as reliable and durable as their ancestors. I love the old guns, but I can live with the new ones if the QC/QA and price is right. As always, YMMY

CQB27, well after trading mine, I found that a .444 was difficult to find, in any kind of condition. I received a premium for my .444 so while I regret the trade, I really cannot complain. Mine was produced in 1968 and had a 22" barrel with a Monte Carlo stock. It was not pristine, but in good to very good condition.
To compare the quality of a Marlin without the cross bolt safety to a Marlin with the cross bolt safety is a matter of opinion.....and there are many Marlin owners with a lot of opinions! Now, I don't like the cross bolt safety, but I have no problem buying a Marlin I want with the cross bolt safety. Not that big of an issue with me.
As to your "customizing" your Marlin. I don't have an issue with bringing a cosmetically challenged Marlin back to life. I mean, you did not stiple it and you did not use house paint to cover the issues! lol It looks great to me. BTW, I still want a Marauder rifle from Marlin!!!!!!!!
This was my .444 that ended up in Oklahoma to a great guy who sends me pictures of his hunting kills. He is getting much more pleasure out of that .444 than I ever would.

CQB27, well after trading mine, I found that a .444 was difficult to find, in any kind of condition. I received a premium for my .444 so while I regret the trade, I really cannot complain. Mine was produced in 1968 and had a 22" barrel with a Monte Carlo stock. It was not pristine, but in good to very good condition.
To compare the quality of a Marlin without the cross bolt safety to a Marlin with the cross bolt safety is a matter of opinion.....and there are many Marlin owners with a lot of opinions! Now, I don't like the cross bolt safety, but I have no problem buying a Marlin I want with the cross bolt safety. Not that big of an issue with me.
As to your "customizing" your Marlin. I don't have an issue with bringing a cosmetically challenged Marlin back to life. I mean, you did not stiple it and you did not use house paint to cover the issues! lol It looks great to me. BTW, I still want a Marauder rifle from Marlin!!!!!!!!
This was my .444 that ended up in Oklahoma to a great guy who sends me pictures of his hunting kills. He is getting much more pleasure out of that .444 than I ever would.

WOW.....That's a Beaut!

Reactions: JWC
Wow this thread has started to take on a life of it's own. Who knew there were so many Marlin lovers here

Yeah, who knew?!!!
If nothing else, I guess this thread shows that certain Marlins are in demand.
I can say that if anyone one here has a straight stock Marlin they would like to sell, shoot me a PM. You may be surprised!!!!!:dance:

Back
Top Bottom