• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mechanics and business owners

BlackRifler42

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
151   0
Reaction score
Long story so stay with me here.......

Last week I started feeling some vibration while accelerating in my truck. I knew what it was, drive shaft related. So I took it to a local shop, which has a pretty good score on google review and Facebook, 4.6 out of 5 I believe. Used them once before with no problem. I should mention they are pretty proud of their work.....$$$$

Anyways, needed a carrier bearing, u joint, and rear seal. I got it to them at 1 in the afternoon on Friday and I had it back by 4:30 that day to the tune of $350, $160 of that being parts. The vibration was gone and it felt and drove like normal. I hardly drove it any this weekend, maybe 5 miles. Fast forward today, load my 20 month old up in the truck to go to Cabelas. Hop on the interstate, make it to Cabelas, leave there and decided to take the back roads home, thankfully. About 5 minutes down the road I hear a clunk and grind, immediately pull into a parking lot and find my drive shaft about 3 inches from the ground. The carrier bearing bolts had come right out. Some dip**** I suspect hand tightened them and forgot to torque them down. Immediately called the shop and had them tow it back.

Now before I tell y'all what happened I would like to hear what y'all would expect from the shop to make it right.......GO

And let me tell you that they didn't want to do what I thought was right....

My opinion the tow and them fixing the truck goes without saying, shouldn't even be mentioned. I wanted my labor$ back form the first time. We argued and argued. Here's my thinking, they charged me for two hours of labor, from the time it broke till the time I left, it was two hours of my time, is my time free? What am I going to drive to work? I felt like I should be compensated because for my time just like I compensated them for theirs, even though they couldn't do it right the first time. Like I said we argued and argued and in the end they gave me $100 back and will fix my truck tomorrow. Was I happy? No, but it's better then nothing.

If what you paid to have repaired failed, they need to make it right, no charge to you.

I am not following what you mean by "carrier bearing bolts" though. I get that it is rear end and/or drive shaft related, but ..........

If what you paid to have repaired failed, they need to make it right, no charge to you.

I am not following what you mean by "carrier bearing bolts" though. I get that it is rear end and/or drive shaft related, but ..........

It's a two piece shaft and there's a bearing right in the middle that joins the two together and it bolts to the frame, it actually holds the shaft up. The two bolts that hold it up fell out.

It's a two piece shaft and there's a bearing right in the middle that joins the two together and it bolts to the frame, it actually holds the shaft up. The two bolts that hold it up fell out.

Support bearing.

The carrier is in your rear end, and the ring gear attaches to it. It has 2 bearings, and the pinion shaft has a bearing as well. The torque on that nut is critical. Some of the carrier assemblies are bolted in and come out as an assembly. Those need to be torqued properly, but won't fall out.

One of these is what I thought you were referring to.

I do not see your claim to be paid for waiting.

I pay them for their time to do something right the first time. Why should my time be free when they can't do something so simple as torquing bolts/nuts down. Time that leaves me without a car for work and something that could have been very very dangerous if it would have happened say going down the interstate 80mph. I also get that mistakes happen but damn....

Back
Top Bottom