Med supplies

The guy asked what we keep stocked for first aid supplies.

I'm not advocating focusing on vitals if there's life threatening injuries or ailments. Major trauma, you do your blood sweep and the rest of the trauma assessment, same with medical. But I see nothing wrong, even outside of what I do on job, with gathering vitals after major injury or illness has been addressed to the best of my abilities within scope of practice.

That’s right when you get there we already know you are going to slap the P.O. on, grab a BP, and listen for Bilateral breath sounds...
But your not in the ambulance, you rolled up on a scene..... What are you going to when P.O is 76%. BP is 70/0 and BBS are equal and clear..?

And remember your not on the truck.... How are you going to treat this patient?

That’s right when you get there we already know you are going to slap the P.O. on, grab a BP, and listen for Bilateral breath sounds...
But your not in the ambulance, you rolled up on a scene..... What are you going to when P.O is 76%. BP is 70/0 and BBS are equal and clear..?

And remember your not on the truck.... How are you going to treat this patient?

So in this hypothetical, all major life threatening trauma, or medical, I can address has been attended to and now the patient is presenting with vitals you've given me.

PO 76%
BP 70/...0?
LS E/C

I would make a note and would relay that information to whoever I hand my patient off to. I don't have fluids or supplemental oxygen. But the dudes on the truck or whatever hypothetical first response shows up in will, and they will probably be a higher level of care or equal. If for some reason no help is availible and/or transport to a hospital or clinic can't be made, then the patient is SOL dude.

Edit; but those vitals let me know he's got bad o2 sat and the BP cuff is probably broken because I've never seen or heard of a 0 diastolic.
If I take more sets of vitals it'll let me know if the patient is better, worse or the same. Maybe I can relay that to someone aswell.

So to digress; I do what I can, I take a baseline vital, and I hand the patient to next level of care. And there is a next level of care, it's 911 when you're off duty.

So in this hypothetical, all major life threatening trauma, or medical, I can address has been attended to and now the patient is presenting with vitals you've given me.

PO 76%
BP 70/...0?
LS E/C

I would make a note and would relay that information to whoever I hand my patient off to. I don't have fluids or supplemental oxygen. But the dudes on the truck or whatever hypothetical first response shows up in will, and they will probably be a higher level of care or equal. If for some reason no help is availible and/or transport to a hospital or clinic can't be made, then the patient is SOL dude.

Edit; but those vitals let me know he's got bad o2 sat and the BP cuff is probably broken because I've never seen or heard of a 0 diastolic.
If I take more sets of vitals it'll let me know if the patient is better, worse or the same. Maybe I can relay that to someone aswell.

So to digress; I do what I can, I take a baseline vital, and I hand the patient to next level of care. And there is a next level of care, it's 911 when you're off duty.

No BP cuff is fine... that’s what we see a lot with Trauma/penetrating wounds. Could be anything from Cardiac Tamponade thru great vessel tear... They need massive fluid resuscitation. And likely a Trauma Surgeon and likely a Vascular or Cardiac Surgeon...

I would guess the longer you work, the more you will see..

I still stand behind the vitals other than RR, Level of consciousness, Airway, triaging from head to toe. You really don’t need to a P.O. BP cuff, Stethoscope... you are again obtaining numbers-information you can’t treat. It takes you away from tasks at hand.

No BP cuff is fine... that’s what we see a lot with Trauma/penetrating wounds. Could be anything from Cardiac Tamponade thru great vessel tear... They need massive fluid resuscitation.

I'll keep that in mind

I don't see a problem with having more vitals; just because I can't treat with the information I have doesn't mean the next guy can't

so far i got antibiotics and some good pain medicine! i saved it from my root canal. i usually just buy as i go when it comes to medical supplies. i also keep a 750mm of jameson in my milwaukee steel tool chest just in case.

I appreciate this thread but I have noticed it has deviated from "survival situation" to generally applied emergency procedures etc...I have over 20 years in the role of first responder and I will tell you that the pulse and oxmeters are great but you better know that maxi pads are some of the best absorbent trauma pads out there and honey acts as one of the best anticoagulants in a SHTF situation when trauma hits. There are many , many more items that you can apply in trauma situations that you may be faced with in the real world, much less a "survival situation"! I once rolled up on a motorcycle accident between Hiawassee and Helen and used magazines and duct tape as splints and a cigarette wrapper for a sucking chest wound. Not peeing on the thread or any of its respondents, but SHTF scenarios require quick thinking and the ability to adapt to the situation you are in. And yeah, sometimes you just can't do anything for the patient with the cards you were dealt.. I appreciate all the info from the pros but SHTF is entirely different from a scheduled shift at Grady. Sometimes the only tool you will have is between your ears. Godspeed to all our guard dogs on duty out there on the streets!

I appreciate this thread but I have noticed it has deviated from "survival situation" to generally applied emergency procedures etc...I have over 20 years in the role of first responder and I will tell you that the pulse and oxmeters are great but you better know that maxi pads are some of the best absorbent trauma pads out there and honey acts as one of the best anticoagulants in a SHTF situation when trauma hits. There are many , many more items that you can apply in trauma situations that you may be faced with in the real world, much less a "survival situation"! I once rolled up on a motorcycle accident between Hiawassee and Helen and used magazines and duct tape as splints and a cigarette wrapper for a sucking chest wound. Not peeing on the thread or any of its respondents, but SHTF scenarios require quick thinking and the ability to adapt to the situation you are in. And yeah, sometimes you just can't do anything for the patient with the cards you were dealt.. I appreciate all the info from the pros but SHTF is entirely different from a scheduled shift at Grady. Sometimes the only tool you will have is between your ears. Godspeed to all our guard dogs on duty out there on the streets!

Mic Drop ! I will take Ingenuity any day... That was the message I was trying to get across.. In situations as described, you cant always rely on technology...

Back
Top Bottom