• Miata

Votes: 23 63.9%

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Who cares

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Tacos..

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters
I won't vote (no first hand experience) but with a no repairs budget I have to believe that eliminates the 944.
I tend to agree with this. If my memory is correct the 944 and the 924 are actually Audi engines.I'm certain that one of them is just don't recall which. And Audi engines in the 80s are sketchy at best. Plus you will have to deal with three very bad words which are as follows; Bosch Fuel Injection! Steer clear of that at all costs.
Now if you just want something German that looks cool you could score fairly cheap I say check out a first gen Audi TT. Pretty much the same car under the sheet metal as a Turbo Beetle. I think the early TT models especially the convertibles are really cool. And if I were to own a Porsche it would just have to be some variation of the 911. And it would have to be a year model from when they had the frog eyed headlight look. But even if you gave me one I know I could drive it for a week or two and then sell the hell out of it. I don't want to be the guy with a broke down Porsche.

I had a 93 Miata in 04 and 05. I don't now if the next generation was any better but mine was SLOW! And there aint enough room behind the seat for a tennis racket much less an AR. In fact there is so little room in a Miata that the speakers are in the headrests like in a Fiero. I here they make good Auto Cross and SCCA cars but aside from that they're just very limited. If you want Jap car fun there is always the RX7. I really like the late 80s style convertible. That rotary motor aint all that good on MPG but it makes good power and responds well to turbo charging. And one of my favorite Jap rockets that you don't see much is the Mistsubishi Starion Turbo also known as the Plymouth Conquest. I believe Brad Sweet has experience with these cars if you need more input.

Or you could fall into the money pit known as the Foxbody Mustang. Not saying they're bad cars but there's SO MANY bolt on goodies out there.

I tend to agree with this. If my memory is correct the 944 and the 924 are actually Audi engines.I'm certain that one of them is just don't recall which. And Audi engines in the 80s are sketchy at best. Plus you will have to deal with three very bad words which are as follows; Bosch Fuel Injection! Steer clear of that at all costs.
Now if you just want something German that looks cool you could score fairly cheap I say check out a first gen Audi TT. Pretty much the same car under the sheet metal as a Turbo Beetle. I think the early TT models especially the convertibles are really cool. And if I were to own a Porsche it would just have to be some variation of the 911. And it would have to be a year model from when they had the frog eyed headlight look. But even if you gave me one I know I could drive it for a week or two and then sell the hell out of it. I don't want to be the guy with a broke down Porsche.

I had a 93 Miata in 04 and 05. I don't now if the next generation was any better but mine was SLOW! And there aint enough room behind the seat for a tennis racket much less an AR. In fact there is so little room in a Miata that the speakers are in the headrests like in a Fiero. I here they make good Auto Cross and SCCA cars but aside from that they're just very limited. If you want Jap car fun there is always the RX7. I really like the late 80s style convertible. That rotary motor aint all that good on MPG but it makes good power and responds well to turbo charging. And one of my favorite Jap rockets that you don't see much is the Mistsubishi Starion Turbo also known as the Plymouth Conquest. I believe Brad Sweet has experience with these cars if you need more input.

Or you could fall into the money pit known as the Foxbody Mustang. Not saying they're bad cars but there's SO MANY bolt on goodies out there.

the newer ones are a bit faster with the 1.8 vs the 1.6 that was in the 93's but still deff not a "fast" car. Miata always shown best once they were up to speed and then you just ignored the break pedal. I also love the Rx7's and honestly plan to sell my Miata to buy another one. The rotary engine is just so different but awesome! and you can rebuild them in less than a day which is nice. The satrions were also awesome and had a buddy that used to have one but I believe the sister car was a Chrysler.

the newer ones are a bit faster with the 1.8 vs the 1.6 that was in the 93's but still deff not a "fast" car. Miata always shown best once they were up to speed and then you just ignored the break pedal. I also love the Rx7's and honestly plan to sell my Miata to buy another one. The rotary engine is just so different but awesome! and you can rebuild them in less than a day which is nice. The satrions were also awesome and had a buddy that used to have one but I believe the sister car was a Chrysler.
Well the first gen Miata looks best to me. But I'm stuck in the 80s and still think pop up headlights are cool. Anyone that winds up with a Miata should know about Planet Miata.com. It's an online Miata salvage operation that has damn near everything you need at good prices. But if you don't have to go top down and want to go fast fairly cheap i still like the Starion even though I don't like anything else from Mitsubishi. Just a matter of finding a good one. But you would definitely have something different that isn't seen everyday.
images
images
Just two good examples here.

Well the first gen Miata looks best to me. But I'm stuck in the 80s and still think pop up headlights are cool. Anyone that winds up with a Miata should know about Planet Miata.com. It's an online Miata salvage operation that has damn near everything you need at good prices. But if you don't have to go top down and want to go fast fairly cheap i still like the Starion even though I don't like anything else from Mitsubishi. Just a matter of finding a good one. But you would definitely have something different that isn't seen everyday.
images
images
Just two good examples here.
I agree 100% that's why the best ones in my opinion are 94-97 as they had the 1.8 and bigger brakes ( a few other upgrades too) but still had the NA body style with the flip up headlights and all of that awesome styling. The starions also make great sleeper cars and not a ton of people know what they are and with a little work and money can be made to be pretty darn quick. I agree with it being the one of the only good mitsubishi's, only other one I ever wanted was a VR4 version of the 3000gt but those are still just soooooo damn heavy

I agree 100% that's why the best ones in my opinion are 94-97 as they had the 1.8 and bigger brakes ( a few other upgrades too) but still had the NA body style with the flip up headlights and all of that awesome styling. The starions also make great sleeper cars and not a ton of people know what they are and with a little work and money can be made to be pretty darn quick. I agree with it being the one of the only good mitsubishi's, only other one I ever wanted was a VR4 version of the 3000gt but those are still just soooooo damn heavy
I worked at Macon Mitsubishi in 05/06 and there were 2 of the VR4 cars that had to be pushed out in the morning and back in at night. The service manager told me they both had bad engine computers and there wasn't a new one available anywhere at the time. A damn engine computer can break you! we sold a 99 Dodge van last year and it had to have a computer last week. The guy told us it was over $800.00. Whe I worked at the VW/Audi shop in Macon a TDI Beetle had to have a computer and it was almost a thousand. Plus, you had to bring the car to the dealer for them to "Flash It" or some such ****.
That Foxbody coupe is looking better and better...:cool-new:

I worked at Macon Mitsubishi in 05/06 and there were 2 of the VR4 cars that had to be pushed out in the morning and back in at night. The service manager told me they both had bad engine computers and there wasn't a new one available anywhere at the time. A damn engine computer can break you! we sold a 99 Dodge van last year and it had to have a computer last week. The guy told us it was over $800.00. Whe I worked at the VW/Audi shop in Macon a TDI Beetle had to have a computer and it was almost a thousand. Plus, you had to bring the car to the dealer for them to "Flash It" or some such ****.
That Foxbody coupe is looking better and better...:cool-new:

yah ecu issues can be the worst and at those prices its almost a better option to just grab a megasquirt or something similar and have an experienced guy give it a good tune as it would prob be in the same realm of costs but you would get some performance boost out of it as well. I cant wait to see what all sorts of fun VW/Audi get to deal with now that their ecu cheat was found out. Gonna end up costing them BIG on this one.

yah ecu issues can be the worst and at those prices its almost a better option to just grab a megasquirt or something similar and have an experienced guy give it a good tune as it would prob be in the same realm of costs but you would get some performance boost out of it as well. I cant wait to see what all sorts of fun VW/Audi get to deal with now that their ecu cheat was found out. Gonna end up costing them BIG on this one.
Yeah when that story broke about the VW cars ECUs being able to know when they were being tested and adjusting accordingly I was floored. I heard Limbaugh say that the engineers and tech guys that came up with that were geniuses to say the least and should be working for Apple.

Back
Top Bottom