• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Moonclips for revolvers?

Maybe this is a dumb question (I'm fairly new to revolvers), but can any S&W revolver use moon clips?

Or are only some models compatible with them -- others you have to use a speedloader? Looking at the small J-frames.
Your one stop shopping for all things moon clip, they are cheap and fast turn around pre covid.

https://tkcustom.com/services/machining

That looks fantastic. For someone shooting in competition that would be perfect.

Unfortunately they look caliber specific. They would also have to be somewhat gun specific, since moon clip spacings are a range of different sizes, even in the same caliber. That means that the center spindle might need to be different for a GP-100 in 10mm vs. a Smith 610 in 10mm.

At $90 a whack that would add up pretty quickly.

That looks fantastic. For someone shooting in competition that would be perfect.

Unfortunately they look caliber specific. They would also have to be somewhat gun specific, since moon clip spacings are a range of different sizes, even in the same caliber. That means that the center spindle might need to be different for a GP-100 in 10mm vs. a Smith 610 in 10mm.

At $90 a whack that would add up pretty quickly.
I think you're right. They look specific to frame sizes too.
http://www.bmtequipped.com/purchase.php

I think the loaders from TK Custom are available with interchangeable spindles. I only use .45 ACP so I didn’t pay much attention to this feature when I bought mine

I never was able to do the run and gun comps.

I did a lot of PPC type comps. I don't know anyone who would use a moonclip over a Safariland Comp III. Probably because it's easier to carry a speedloader in a holder.

Yes, I know the speedloaders are not practical for everyday carry although the HKS were popular when revolvers were still duty guns.

I've used moonclips for field work where I don't really care if I recover them or not. For casual carry, I still prefer speedloaders, probably mostly habit.

Honestly, I think speedloaders are probably more practical for everyday carry than the moon clips.

The polymer moon clips do not hold the rounds as tightly as the metal ones, which is why they are easier to use. However in all the jostling around of EDC, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have enough tension to hold the rounds in place.

The metal moon clips will definitely hold the rounds tight enough for EDC, that's why they are such a PITA to load and unload. However if they get bent they can jam up a revolver but good.

They both require some kind of round pouch to carry them in, which is not particularly easy to conceal and tends to stand out, so that's a wash.

For me, I only carry a revolver as a 'pocket gun' for short trips in the neighborhood, so I just throw a couple of speed strips in the other pocket and that's that.

And even that is changing. Now I'm carrying the SIG P365 almost all the time, it's just as easy to slip that in a pocket as my LCR, and the whole reloading problem goes away with a spare mag in the other pocket.

Much as I love my revolvers, I really think the 10-round micro 9mms are their death knell as EDC guns. Back when you were limited to 6 rounds in the micro-9s you could still make a case for an LCR or J-frame. When you are running 10+1 in something the same size and weight as a J frame, the argument just isn't there anymore.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned what I consider to be the Moon Clip's greatest advantage over other reloading methods--ALL your "Empties" come out of the Gun TOGETHER, all at once--There is no way for an empty case to get stuck UNDER the Extractor Star--The "Death Jam" for Revolvers--Or for a round to slip past the Extractor when being ejected--Not a "Fun'' situation either...

I've got a 642PC that's cut for Moons--Thanks again, Uncle Bill!--And once I've verified that it is reliable with my chosen Carry Load, it will likely replace my old 442 No Dash for EDC just because of it's more positive extraction of empties--YMMV, of course...

Back
Top Bottom